18 Sep, 11:30PM in sunny Singapore!

Protest at Hong Lim on 1 May -updated

Subscribe to Protest at Hong Lim on 1 May -updated 333 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    8,443 posts since Dec '05
    • aiythe word,next GE2016 vote ebnough opposition into parliahment.

those constituencies last GE2011 with opposition results 40 percent, over or udner close peole can safely vote them into parliahment. like that we know what is the expected results GE2016 already.

that one just go asap lah. so old already still draw salary so high, biay paisei arh!?

30,803 posts since Mar '05
    30,140 posts since Oct '02
    • The End is near!

Even they repent also no use~!

Edited by ^Acid^ aka s|aO^eH~ 18 Feb `13, 9:11AM
    20,235 posts since Feb '10
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    245,635 posts since Dec '99
    111 posts since Mar '12
    • 近5000人聚集芳林公园
      抗议690万人口增长预测  

16/2/2013 about 5000 Singaporean protested against White Paper at Hong Lim Park

http://news.omy.sg/common/media/News/Local-News/Jin-5000Ren-Ju-Ji-Fang-Lin-Gong-Yuan-Kang-Yi-690Mo-Ren-Kou-Zeng-Chang-Yu-Ce-137667?type=vod&startIndex=1

Tan Jee Say: PAP giving foreigners citizenship to vote for it  The Singapore government is giving citizenship liberally to foreigners to boost its flagging support base, said former presidential candidate Tan Jee Say

http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2013/02/17/tan-jee-say-pap-giving-foreigners-citizenship-to-vote-for-it/

30,140 posts since Oct '02
    • Oh, btw, at 5m population in Singapore, we are the 3rd most packed country in the world in population density... Only Macau and Monaco is ahead of us...

With 6.9m next time, I think we're going to take the top spot...

Shoooo squeezy...

25,382 posts since Jan '04
    • Originally posted by FireIce:

when the next one ah?

The next mass protest, or the next by-election?

24,120 posts since Nov '03
    • Originally posted by ^Acid^ aka s|aO^eH~:

Oh, btw, at 5m population in Singapore, we are the 3rd most packed country in the world in population density... Only Macau and Monaco is ahead of us...

With 6.9m next time, I think we're going to take the top spot...

Shoooo squeezy...

We ARE the most densely populated country, since the other two are a principality and a territory.

328 posts since Jun '08
    • Even 5K people attend the protest, to the elites, this is only noise. The elites had already make up their mind and had the mandate of the majority.

20,235 posts since Feb '10
    • Originally posted by Lazybumy:

Even 5K people attend the protest, to the elites, this is only noise. The elites had already make up their mind and had the mandate of the majority.

even 50k they wun be bothered.

icon_lol.gif

24,163 posts since Jun '03
    • everyday go work take train very packed

go orchard shopping also very packed.

so i thought i will chill at a park over the weekend.

knn.

hong lim park also packed.

icon_cry.gif

Edited by GHoST_18 18 Feb `13, 10:21PM
    2,186 posts since Dec '11
    19,069 posts since Oct '09
    4,916 posts since Nov '11
    • Other than the crowd and inconvenience this is bringing us, the most saddening is the ah dou is downgrading our country to becoming a third world country soon.   If that materialises one day, hope we will be united to give him pressure to reduce his pay to be comparable to those of the PM , govt from third world countries.

• Crowd numbers at population protest

Published 17 February 2013 knowledge and belief , politics and government17 Comments 

I see that many people on social media have pointed out the large discrepancies in reports of crowd size at yesterday’s protest against the Population White Paper. Variations in estimates always accompany any outdoor event unless it’s a ticketed one.

My earlier article quoted the organisers’ figure of 4,000 to 5,000, a figure they announced at least twice during the rally itself. My own calculations — which I completed only after publishing the earlier article indicate that 3,000 to 4,000 may be more accurate.

Here’s a Facebook mention of 5,000 by the emcee of the event:

pic_201302_36

They may well be right because estimating crowd size is more art than science. But here I am going to show you how I arrived at my own figure.

pic_201302_32a

First, I used a satellite image of Hong Lim Park from Google maps. That’s the image above. You will see at the bottom left corner that Google provides a scale. Just in case Google’s scale is a bit off, I also looked up OneMap’s map of Hong Lim Park. It is shown below:

pic_201302_32b

I have no reason to doubt the scale. Both maps show the lawn area of Hong Lim Park — bound by the inner foot path — to be about 65 metres square, with one corner eaten up by the community club’s stage.

During the rally itself, I moved around a fair bit, from the front of the crowd to the back and up the overhead bridge across New Bridge Road (far left of maps), observing the approximate density at several points. I also took a number of photographs so that I have a record of density. Two examples are below.

Photograph A (which you can click on to enlarge) was taken close to the metro station exit. It shows the back of the crowd. The footpath is visible. The tent where the rally speakers were is away to the left of the photograph. In fact you can see a gradient:  the umbrellas are denser at the left of the photo (nearer the tent) than at the right edge. In the background is the community club stage, but don’t be mistaken, the people there are not the organisers and speakers; they are the audience, taking shelter from the drizzle.  There are about 100 of them on the community club stage.

At the top left of the photo you will see a smaller group on the balcony of the community club. I reckon there are about 30 persons there.

pic_201302_34_480w

From photo A, my estimate is that at the back of the crowd, the density is about 0.7 persons per square metre. That is, there are about 2 persons for every 3 square metres.

Photograph B (which you can also click to enlarge) is taken about 10 metres from the front of the tent.

pic_201302_35_480w

Here, people are standing more or less shoulder to shoulder, but spaced about arm’s length from the person in front. This gives a density of about 1.5 persons per square metre, that is, about three persons for every two square metres.

The graphic below has various boxes laid over the Google map of Hong Lim Park lawn, coloured for their density. The locations of photographs A and B are marked too. The location of the speakers’ tent is outlined in blue.

pic_201302_32c

The calculation below is so simple and obvious, a Primary 6 pupil can do it.

pic_201302_33

Naturally, estimating crowd size cannot be achieved with total precision. Moreover, people were coming and going (especially as the drizzle waxed and waned), so an estimate can vary depending on when the estimate is made.

One could even say that because of the coming and going, the number present at any given time is not the total who came by and spent some time at the rally.

But an exact count is not necessary. The crowd is quite evidently a sizable one, and considering that the climate of fear is not yet completely dispelled, it would be foolish to dismiss the significance of the event.

http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2013/02/17/crowd-numbers-at-population-protest/

• I am in support of another round of protest at Hong Lim Park.    Probably this time there will be a larger crowd.

• GE 2016 is still far away

we better preserve strength and do not forget about the protest on 16 Feb at Hong Lim Park

• It is important to deeply politicise the entire society of Singapore and build up civil society organsations in order to prepare for the showdown in 2016 against the PAP.

• can anyone tell us who cannot support the fact that lhl is destroying sg, how can we get him out of the PM's position other than thru voting>?

it is crucial and imperative to get him out ................

• SJS, unless ur talking about a coup, one raised by the civilians…............................

• irrelevant reply.

i am asking about through the proper channel.     It is ok, others will give the proper and correct answer.    

30,803 posts since Mar '05
    111 posts since Mar '12
    • http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=429875457097488&set=pb.100002251136514.-2207520000.1361254826&type=3&theater

Edited by 1888 19 Feb `13, 2:20PM
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    245,635 posts since Dec '99
Please Login or Signup to reply.