21 Jul, 04:47AM in sunny Singapore!

Replacement for SAF "Light" Tanks

Subscribe to Replacement for SAF "Light" Tanks 85 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    4,893 posts since May '04
    • Originally posted by lionnoisy:
      We have close to some 300 SM1.

[b][url=http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/news_and_events/nr/2007/mar/05mar07_nr.html]

I think most of us know about this already.. Rolling Eyes

641 posts since Dec '06
    • See SM1 until sian. Count until sian.

I want to see something else!

I want to see the L2A4 lehz...they better chop chop ship them over.

55 posts since Feb '07
    • Hi,

whet your appetite in the meantime. Video clip of Leo II going through it's pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uVXZS6oEhgce.

7,293 posts since Jan '07
    55 posts since Feb '07
    • Development of Bionix MBT has been terminated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionix_AFV

The procurement of Leopard MBTs has, finally, upgraded our present SAR units into true armoured units. SM-1 is not a MBT, per se.

But are we going to phase out light battle tank from SAF orbat entirely?

Would it make sense to upgrade some infantry brigades/division into mechanized units? ie., equipe them with, say, light battle tank and Bronco? Overall firepower and mobility will be improved for the Army. With the introduction of network-centric warfare doctrines into the tri-service, all army assets need to be able to keep up with rapidly developing battle scene. I doubt 3-tonner laden infantry units can keep up with the battle management system commands.

11 posts since Jul '06
    • Not sure if this was pointed out b4, but IMHO the SAF should have considered using the Russian BMP3 with a 125mm gun as a replacement light tank for the SM-1. Heck, even in it's IFV version, the 100mm cannon combined with 30mm automatic cannon would have offered much more firepower than the SM1's 75mm vintage cannon. It is also amphibious & at less than 19 tons(loaded), I think it might be possible to transport it via C130. Its internal might be pretty packed, as are most Russian armored vehicles, but then again, so is the Bionix II. If Russian reliability is an concern, STK could perhaps assemble the machines locally under license.

If a heavier armored "light" tank is required, the German TAM should fit the bill, provided that it's upgraded with better Fire control & sights. At 30.5ton, it's just slightly heavier than the Primus SSPH.

Edited by ghanz 18 Jul `07, 1:11AM
    36 posts since May '05
    • Hi all, not sure if i'm posting this coorectly.

Pls help advise what's the intention for the numbers on yellow circles found at front of all MID vehicles. Thanks.

Smile

53 posts since Jan '01
    399 posts since Sep '07
    • Its the MLC...it is a unit to calculate the max weight in tons.

Most western armies in the world have this.

641 posts since Dec '06
    • Wow thread necro bad but at least it’ relevant info. The number is the weight of the vehicle in tons. So the M113 is 13 and SM1 is 18. BX 23/6. It’s also used to calculate how many vehicles can fit on a low loader for transport.

Please Login or Signup to reply.