19 Dec, 06:52AM in sunny Singapore!

Military knives

Subscribe to Military knives 486 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
  • 4Justice's Avatar
    1,092 posts since Apr '08
    • Originally posted by nehpyh:


      Waaaa....what do you do 4Justice? Please dun tell me "for me to know for you to find" leh.... :(

      Ah... kekeke. Well, what do you think? XD I am a student thats for sure. Other things... heh what do u think?

  • Moderator
    Shotgun's Avatar
    7,238 posts since Jul '00
  • 4Justice's Avatar
    1,092 posts since Apr '08
    • Me? Let me count:

      SOG Seal Pup, SOG NW Ranger, SOG Pentagon Elite II, CRKT Crawford Kasper Gen I Combat Folder, S&W Tactical, Victorinox OH Trekker, Gerber something, other assorted Victorinoxes, and a CRKT Ryan on long term loan from my ex-gf ^^

  • nehpyh's Avatar
    1,297 posts since Apr '07
  • wonderamazement's Avatar
    15,229 posts since Dec '04
  • 4Justice's Avatar
    1,092 posts since Apr '08
  • Fatum's Avatar
    34,549 posts since Aug '05
    • Originally posted by wonderamazement:

      what's the rule governing bringing knives in and out of singapore?

      I have no idea ...

      I think as long as it's checked in and not hand carried ? ....

      I've never had any problems bringing diving knives along on diving trips .....

      and backpacking or trekking, I used to pack along a big parang which I used as a utility knife cum bushwhacker, never had any problems ......

       

  • CasperV's Avatar
    290 posts since Jun '07
    • hey i once asked the guy at taka and he said you can just buy one right here right now no need license.

      btw, how the hell do you use the victorinox can opener??

       

      edit: i believe there is a law you can carry a blade not more than 3 inches long and it must be foldable.. something like that

      Edited by CasperV 04 Dec `08, 5:13PM
  • 2e3's Avatar
    175 posts since Nov '04
    • hi, any1 know the current prices of leatherman multi-tools and where can i get them?

  • 4Justice's Avatar
    1,092 posts since Apr '08
    • yea, theres no need for a licence as long as the blade conforms to the legal regulations concerning what is legal.

      which victorinox can opener? the one on mine?

  • Gedanken's Avatar
    8,703 posts since Jul '03
    • Originally posted by CasperV:

      btw, how the hell do you use the victorinox can opener??

      You cut forwards (in the direction away from your hand), unlike other can opener designs that cut backwards.

  • 4Justice's Avatar
    1,092 posts since Apr '08
  • Mr raymond chew's Avatar
    3 posts since Dec '08
    • As for me, I chose a more rugged folder, as I am careless person. So, I went to Sheares Marketing, and I told them my requirements:

      1. Rugged

      2. Require little maintenance

      3. Can use for anything (Not just knife fighting training)

      And they recommended the SOG Visionary II to me.

      http://www.sogknives.com/store/fold.html

  • nehpyh's Avatar
    1,297 posts since Apr '07
    • Originally posted by wonderamazement:

      what's the rule governing bringing knives in and out of singapore?

      Singapore is full of grey areas...so be careful when having knives on you.

      1. It is illegal to have blades that is sharpened on both sides e.g. a stiletto. Such knives are not allowed unless one side is intentionally blunted.I'm not sure of mine cos it's framed up but you can check the Statues of Singapore Laws on that.

      The grey area is that some drip-points have a short portion that is sharpend on the reversed side. E.g. A Kabar.

      2. Blades larger than 3inches requires a record of IC before purchase.

      3. Knives with assisted opening mechanism is illegal too. I.e. an 'automatic' pocket knife.

      The grey area is the SOG S.A.T (SOG Assisted Technology). Need to check with SOG dealers here if they can import that.

      4. Carrying knives in Singapore is not illegal (if not how your auntie buy her chopper) but the confusing part is if the law enforcer thinks that you are carrying an offensive object, they have the right to prosecute you. That said, a durain can be a very offensive 'weapon' if used the wrong way.

      5. Carrying of knives in Pulau Ubin is legal and approved off. I have personally written to the Police to clarify on this issue.


      6. If you are travelling, especially via the airport or anywhere where you need to clear the x-ray machine, do bring along the original proof of purchase. If not, good luck. Airport wise,  just check in your knives together with your luggage.

      If you are not going camping overseas, better have a damn good reason why you need to carry knives. Also pay attention to native laws and regulations. E.g. US alone has different laws on lenght of knives allowed to be carried.

      Lastly, I make not representation of what I said above is current nor accurate. Kindly check with the authorities if you wanna do funky businesses.

      I am just a humble amature collector!

       

       

       

       

       

    • Originally posted by CasperV:

      hey i once asked the guy at taka and he said you can just buy one right here right now no need license.

      btw, how the hell do you use the victorinox can opener??

       

      edit: i believe there is a law you can carry a blade not more than 3 inches long and it must be foldable.. something like that

      Dun you have the instructions when you get your tool?!!!

    • Originally posted by 2e3:

      hi, any1 know the current prices of leatherman multi-tools and where can i get them?

      You can get Leatherman from Army market, Home-Fix and Sheares Technology i think. Personally, I think SOG or Gerber is better.

       

      Go to Chinatown, there is a shop house opp CK where they self those 1.99 hardwares. Go right inside and you can find some cheap knives and tools too!

  • 4Justice's Avatar
    1,092 posts since Apr '08
    • Originally posted by nehpyh:

       

      4. Carrying knives in Singapore is not illegal (if not how your auntie buy her chopper) but the confusing part is if the law enforcer thinks that you are carrying an offensive object, they have the right to prosecute you. That said, a durain can be a very offensive 'weapon' if used the wrong way.

       


      lol i love this bit. I will use my Durian as a medieval mace!

  • ktk's Avatar
    284 posts since Jan '07
    • Originally posted by nehpyh:

      Singapore is full of grey areas...so be careful when having knives on you.

      1. It is illegal to have blades that is sharpened on both sides e.g. a stiletto. Such knives are not allowed unless one side is intentionally blunted.I'm not sure of mine cos it's framed up but you can check the Statues of Singapore Laws on that.

      The grey area is that some drip-points have a short portion that is sharpend on the reversed side. E.g. A Kabar.

      2. Blades larger than 3inches requires a record of IC before purchase.

      3. Knives with assisted opening mechanism is illegal too. I.e. an 'automatic' pocket knife.

      The grey area is the SOG S.A.T (SOG Assisted Technology). Need to check with SOG dealers here if they can import that.

      4. Carrying knives in Singapore is not illegal (if not how your auntie buy her chopper) but the confusing part is if the law enforcer thinks that you are carrying an offensive object, they have the right to prosecute you. That said, a durain can be a very offensive 'weapon' if used the wrong way.

      5. Carrying of knives in Pulau Ubin is legal and approved off. I have personally written to the Police to clarify on this issue.


      6. If you are travelling, especially via the airport or anywhere where you need to clear the x-ray machine, do bring along the original proof of purchase. If not, good luck. Airport wise,  just check in your knives together with your luggage.

      If you are not going camping overseas, better have a damn good reason why you need to carry knives. Also pay attention to native laws and regulations. E.g. US alone has different laws on lenght of knives allowed to be carried.

      Lastly, I make not representation of what I said above is current nor accurate. Kindly check with the authorities if you wanna do funky businesses.

      I am just a humble amature collector!

       

       

       

       

       

       good read!

  • nehpyh's Avatar
    1,297 posts since Apr '07
    • I read somewhere....or was it CSI....anyway, the most used cutting tool as assult weapon is not some fancy camping or military knife...it's actually the kitchen knife! And it's even deadlier cos the a kitchen knife is at least 6" long... shiver!

       

      Some good news:

      Ethan Becker makes a hella of a military/utility knife. He's been working with Camilus  (US oldest knife maker) but recently Camilus folded due to poor sales. Anyway, he's joined Kabar and if you are looking for a strong-burly-heavy-yet-compact military knife, check out kabar website.

      My recommendation will be the Becker Companion.

  • nilam's Avatar
    5 posts since Jan '09
    • Hi All

      I'm new to the forum here but have been interested in collecting knives now for some years .  I own  2 samurai swords, 3 kukris (got it in Nepal when I was there), a kris, an Iban parang and home-made knife from India.  I'm trying my hand at buying from ebay and ordered a few knives.  They are Cold Steel Recon Scout Combat Knife , Cold Steel GI Tanto Combat Knife and Smith & Wesson Black Speacial Tactical Folding Knife. I read that nehpyh bought from the Internet.  I need advice on how to get the knives in.  Do I need to apply for a permit with the police? Will these knives be considered weapons by the police?  Garteful if someone can help.  Thanks and Happy CNY!!!

  • nehpyh's Avatar
    1,297 posts since Apr '07
    • Originally posted by nilam:

      Hi All

      I'm new to the forum here but have been interested in collecting knives now for some years .  I own  2 samurai swords, 3 kukris (got it in Nepal when I was there), a kris, an Iban parang and home-made knife from India.  I'm trying my hand at buying from ebay and ordered a few knives.  They are Cold Steel Recon Scout Combat Knife , Cold Steel GI Tanto Combat Knife and Smith & Wesson Black Speacial Tactical Folding Knife. I read that nehpyh bought from the Internet.  I need advice on how to get the knives in.  Do I need to apply for a permit with the police? Will these knives be considered weapons by the police?  Garteful if someone can help.  Thanks and Happy CNY!!!

      Hi,

       

       

      Welcome to SGF.

      Do I need to apply for a permit with the police?

      I do not think you need to get permit with the police but you do need to keep all purchase documentions with you.

      Also, bear in mind that 'automatic', assisted opening, and 'butterfly' knife are illegal.

       

      Will these knives be considered weapons by the police?

      I dun understand this question but knives with sharpened edge on both sides are illegal. I.e., that will affect your Kris and some funky knives like swords.

      As mentioned, I do not represent the authority so do email them if you have any queries. They some time to revert but they will revert.

      Good luck and post some pixs of your knives!

       

  • dumbdumb!'s Avatar
    14,290 posts since Jan '03
    • Originally posted by the Bear:

      in the past, we had our usual M16/AR15 bayonets which were less than useless for actual cutting...

      we were given the metal jack knife which was harder than hell to open up...

      most of us used our own knives... i had a swiss army knife for everything... the others had scary things like survival knives (Rambo-types) and some even had balisongs...

      i like the current knife sold at the e-marts for less than $8.. it's a black victorinox swiss army knife with 1 blade, 1 can/bottle opener, toothpick and tweezers...

      i wonder where to get the rambo knife, and the butterfly knives

  • nilam's Avatar
    5 posts since Jan '09
    • Thanks nehpyh.  Will post the pixs together with my new knives.

      To dumdumb - Try ebay for the rambo knife.  I thought I came across it.

      Happy CNY all.  Back to work tomorrow.  Argghhhh

       

  • CasperV's Avatar
    290 posts since Jun '07
    • Originally posted by nehpyh:

      Dun you have the instructions when you get your tool?!!!


      i got mine on an aircraft... heh heh

    • Originally posted by 4Justice:

      yea, theres no need for a licence as long as the blade conforms to the legal regulations concerning what is legal.

      which victorinox can opener? the one on mine?


      yep... the last blade on top

      btw, mine says Messerli on the grip. What is that?

      and is my blade different? it says officier suisse stainless rostfrei

Please Login or Signup to reply.