31 Jul, 09:18AM in sunny Singapore!
Home Aunt Agony

Visa Overstay - What happens?

Subscribe to Visa Overstay - What happens? 48 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    11 posts since Aug '07
    • What is likely to happen to someone who has overstayed on a social visit visa for 3 months? Does it make a difference if you go to immigration yourself and tell them? Would it be better to have a flight booked so they can see you are going to levae? 

• And life goes on... with shades of grey
    33,745 posts since Apr '04
    • better have flight book. Either way , u have expired ur welcome to stay. So its either u leave urself , or immigration come n grab u out from where u stay , cuff u , put u in a caged lorry n send u off to detention. Then they ship u off.  lol

8,205 posts since Apr '07
    • MattUK,

Every country has their own way of handling over stayers.

Where are you from and which country are you overstaying ?

If you are in Singapore and you intent to stay longer than the exit date on your approved visa.

You should personally go down to the Immigration department and request for an extension. Most of the time.. it will be granted, provided you have not broken any laws.

6,691 posts since Apr '05
    • Originally posted by BadzMaro:

better have flight book. Either way , u have expired ur welcome to stay. So its either u leave urself , or immigration come n grab u out from where u stay , cuff u , put u in a caged lorry n send u off to detention. Then they ship u off.  lol

does that mean u get to save on return flight? yippee!

149,790 posts since Feb '01
    • Under the Immigration Act, the penalties for overstaying (exceeding 90 days) are: a jail term not exceeding six months, and caning not less than three strokes. In cases where caning cannot be administered, the offender will be fined up to $6,000.

Go to the Immigration authorities and plead your case, sometimes the Investigating Officer will help get some leniency from the Magistrate or Judge.

• Originally posted by jojobeach:

MattUK,

Every country has their own way of handling over stayers.

Where are you from and which country are you overstaying ?

If you are in Singapore and you intent to stay longer than the exit date on your approved visa.

You should personally go down to the Immigration department and request for an extension. Most of the time.. it will be granted, provided you have not broken any laws.

btw.. DO NOT go to the ICA Building to get an extension if you are still legally in Singapore and wish to stay longer than your pass permits you!

go do it online here => e-XTEND

unfortunately, for those who have overstayed, it's a bit too late and they should surrender themselves to the Immigration authorities...

495 posts since Nov '07
    • Originally posted by the Bear:

Under the Immigration Act, the penalties for overstaying (exceeding 90 days) are: a jail term not exceeding six months, and caning not less than three strokes. In cases where caning cannot be administered, the offender will be fined up to $6,000.

Go to the Immigration authorities and plead your case, sometimes the Investigating Officer will help get some leniency from the Magistrate or Judge.

wah..bear scare people with law leh..sad.png

453 posts since Aug '07
    • Originally posted by Alucard101:

Escape.

with the terrorist still at large, you think for one moment he can escape through the checkpoints? teeth.png

34,549 posts since Aug '05
    • Originally posted by MattUK:

What is likely to happen to someone who has overstayed on a social visit visa for 3 months? Does it make a difference if you go to immigration yourself and tell them? Would it be better to have a flight booked so they can see you are going to levae? 

you know those banglas and burmese chaps that were caught sneaking out of the country after over-staying are usually caught, jailed, fined and CANED ? ... devil.png

muahahahahahahahaha ..........

I'm curious ... why can't you just extend your visa ? .....

or do what the prostitutues here do .... take a day trip to johor .... icon_lol.gif

Edited by Fatum 25 Mar `08, 10:03AM
    8,205 posts since Apr '07
    • Originally posted by the Bear:

btw.. DO NOT go to the ICA Building to get an extension if you are still legally in Singapore and wish to stay longer than your pass permits you!

go do it online here => e-XTEND

unfortunately, for those who have overstayed, it's a bit too late and they should surrender themselves to the Immigration authorities...

Thanks for the update bear.

BTW.. your work relates to immigration stuff ?

11 posts since Aug '07
    • Is that right about ‘a caning not less than 3 strokes’ – surely that’s the worse that can happen not the minimum? That seems very very harsh just for overstaying?

What I wanted to know if that you turned up to the airport with your flight booked and ready to go would you still have to deal with the immigration authorities or would they just let you go and maybe fine you?

Is that right about ‘a caning not less than 3 strokes’ – surely that’s the worse that can happen not the minimum? That seems very very harsh just for overstaying?

What I wanted to know if that you turned up to the airport with your flight booked and ready to go would you still have to deal with the immigration authorities or would they just let you go and maybe fine you?

the Immigration Authorities are still bound under law to arrest you if you have overstayed over 3 months...

Is that right about ‘a caning not less than 3 strokes’ – surely that’s the worse that can happen not the minimum? That seems very very harsh just for overstaying?

if that's the case then all overstayers have to do is to keep an open ticket booked forever right ? .......

• And life goes on... with shades of grey
    33,745 posts since Apr '04
    • Originally posted by newcomer:

does that mean u get to save on return flight? yippee!

Cattle class..  lol!

Trust me.. some free stuffs are not worth the experience. lol!

Edited by BadzMaro 25 Mar `08, 7:44PM
    3,401 posts since Jul '07
    11 posts since Aug '07
    • I’m really worried now after reading this. I know this is a bad situation but would the cane be always a punishment for overstaying on a visa. Does it make a difference is if somebody is from Europe? I thought that the worse that could happen would maybe be held for a few days and then deported but I’m obviously wrong.

Do you think this law is fair?

• fair or not, you go to another country, you obey their laws...

go to the Immigration fellas.. that's all i can say..

what the hell made you overstay so long?

extension of stay is a simple logging on the immigration website and applying for it.. you didn't even have to go to the immigration building!

I’m really worried now after reading this. I know this is a bad situation but would the cane be always a punishment for overstaying on a visa. Does it make a difference is if somebody is from Europe? I thought that the worse that could happen would maybe be held for a few days and then deported but I’m obviously wrong.

Do you think this law is fair?

so you think it's fair that the color of your skin should be your passport out of trouble then ? .... 

extensions are easily given ..... hell ... if those foreign pros can pop over to johor on day trips and come right back to work at night with 90 day extensions, I can't see why you couldn't see to it ....

have you talked to immigration already ? ... I think the more you drag, the worse it'll be for you ....

11 posts since Aug '07
    • Originally posted by Fatum:

so you think it's fair that the color of your skin should be your passport out of trouble then ? .... 

extensions are easily given ..... hell ... if those foreign pros can pop over to johor on day trips and come right back to work at night with 90 day extensions, I can't see why you couldn't see to it ....

have you talked to immigration already ? ... I think the more you drag, the worse it'll be for you ....

t realise how serious a problem it would be

59,279 posts since Jun '04

t realise how serious a problem it would be

Well do something about it instead of dragging yr feet!

You can try to plead leniency

The longer you sit on it, the worse it will get!

• You will never surf alone.
    21,922 posts since Nov '06
    255 posts since Nov '07
    • I think it would help if you could supply us with more details:

1. Nationality/ Holding what passport?/Sex

2. Social Visit Pass granted was for how long?

3. What was the reason for the overstay?

4. Has there been any extension on the passport before?

5. Is there a return air ticket to this person's country?

To have overstayed for 3 months is not a joking matter and for that matter may even jeopardize the person whom this foreigner is with (that is you at the moment) - harbouring an illegal. So you had better take some action and not hesitate any further.

•  

To have overstayed for 3 months is not a joking matter and for that matter may even jeopardize the person whom this foreigner is with (that is you at the moment) - harbouring an illegal. So you had better take some action and not hesitate any further

hohoho ... good point ! ...

10,722 posts since Dec '01

of course U will be arrested at the airport for overstaying....an offence has already been committed and it would be up to the courts to determine ur penalty....

having a ticket out of singapore doesnt make the overstaying problem go away.

Get a lawyer and urself into ICA and tell ur sad story to them.ASAP!

Edited by Xcert 27 Mar `08, 1:48AM
Please Login or Signup to reply.