21 Nov, 06:06PM in sunny Singapore!

MediaCorp to discontinue TV Mobile from next year

Subscribe to MediaCorp to discontinue TV Mobile from next year 134 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    14 posts since May '02
    • Source: http://sg.news.yahoo.com/cna/20091215/tap-864-mediacorp-discontinue-tv-mobile-231650b.html

Channel NewsAsia

Channel NewsAsia - Tuesday, December 15

SINGAPORE: MediaCorp will discontinue TV Mobile, the free—to—air mobile digital television broadcast service, next year.

A statement released Tuesday said MediaCorp has decided to terminate the service upon expiry of its current agreement with SBS Transit on January 1.

The company said the discontinuation comes from a careful evaluation of the viability of the service, as resources required to operate and maintain TV Mobile are substantial.

When the service was launched in 2001, it was the only platform in Singapore that offered digital content to public commuters.

MediaCorp said it will re—deploy all TV Mobile staff to other operations within the company.

— CNA/yb

1,838 posts since Dec '06
    • Originally posted by blur_guy:

Source: http://sg.news.yahoo.com/cna/20091215/tap-864-mediacorp-discontinue-tv-mobile-231650b.html

Channel NewsAsia

Channel NewsAsia - Tuesday, December 15

SINGAPORE: MediaCorp will discontinue TV Mobile, the free—to—air mobile digital television broadcast service, next year.

A statement released Tuesday said MediaCorp has decided to terminate the service upon expiry of its current agreement with SBS Transit on January 1.

The company said the discontinuation comes from a careful evaluation of the viability of the service, as resources required to operate and maintain TV Mobile are substantial.

When the service was launched in 2001, it was the only platform in Singapore that offered digital content to public commuters.

MediaCorp said it will re—deploy all TV Mobile staff to other operations within the company.

— CNA/yb

Well, for those taking the public buses, now they can sleep in peace. icon_lol.gif But probably will take a super long time to remove all the TVMobile from the buses...

1,359 posts since Jan '09
    • No need to install TV mobiles on all the Scania K230UBs anymore icon_lol.gif

Think those existing TV mobile units on the outgoing buses like Merc 0405s and Volvo MK3s, SBST might as well just scrap them together with the buses. Whereas other fleets will have its TV mobile units taken down progressively.

After all I think that having a TV mobile onboard the buses is quite redunctant all these while due to many factors...

Edited by SMB32T 15 Dec `09, 7:10PM
    8,418 posts since Aug '06
    1,176 posts since Feb '09
    1,446 posts since Aug '09
    • Finally.

Some quiet peace on the bus.

Take fucking bus also don't spare people, still die die must spread fucking state propaganda.

This is one of the rare events in Singapore that is positive.

2,189 posts since Mar '09
    • Originally posted by TIB433S:

Well, for those taking the public buses, now they can sleep in peace. icon_lol.gif But probably will take a super long time to remove all the TVMobile from the buses...

I disagree, SBS Transit is much more proficient if they wanna totally remove them. I believe its up to MediaCorp if they want to repossess the TV sets.

10,071 posts since Dec '06
    • tt means to say those Leyland and volvo olympian 3 axles and B10M will TV mobile be taken down?

and how about 89.3fm?

Edited by bus555 15 Dec `09, 8:11PM
    2,189 posts since Mar '09
    • Originally posted by SMB32T:

No need to install TV mobiles on all the Scania K230UBs anymore icon_lol.gif

Think those existing TV mobile units on the outgoing buses like Merc 0405s and Volvo MK3s, SBST might as well just scrap them together with the buses. Whereas other fleets will have its TV mobile units taken down progressively.

After all I think that having a TV mobile onboard the buses is quite redunctant all these while due to many factors...

TVMobile units are not owned by SBS Transit. SBS Transit is just providing a platform for their medium.

• Originally posted by SGCar:

Think those tvs on buses belongs to TV Mobile ownership right?

Cheers.

Yes, MediaCorp.

7,313 posts since Sep '08
    • Originally posted by bus555:

tt means to say those Leyland and volvo olympian 3 axles and B10M will TV mobile be taken down?

and how about 89.3fm?

duh.Its alr mentioned above that mediacorp is discontinuing it's TV mobile service with SBST alr.So all buses wont have the TV mobile lor.

• Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    264,489 posts since Dec '99
    1,796 posts since Dec '09
    • I hope TV Mobile goes to SMRT this time round icon_lol.gif (which will never happen)
      What i will really miss on TVM when it gets removed:
      - Just For Laughs
      - Food & Eatery shows
      - Road courtesy MVs
      - One part of a short documentary which shows many scenes of buses (near kallang where there is svc 197, since i saw LO3x on 197, a KUB & O405 doing dunno what svc)
      - Repeated belly dancing documentary (saw it like 4 times already; and surprisingly it caught alot of attention icon_lol.gif)

Edited by SMB92U 15 Dec `09, 8:55PM
    3,390 posts since Sep '09
    • I think the demand is now, I think it can shut down 89.3 FM also icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Finally can gain a peaceful rideicon_lol.gif

4,506 posts since Mar '08
    1,176 posts since Feb '09
    • Hope those TVs might still retain and show advertisements instead. But no sound this time.

Cheers.

3,277 posts since Jan '09
    • Hmm, guess some might not know about this...

In 1999, the TCS (now known as Mediacorp) started a pilot trail on TV Mobile on a double decker bus on service 7.

• Originally posted by SGCar:

Hope those TVs might still retain and show advertisements instead. But no sound this time.

Cheers.

I think when the TV mobile shutdown, the TVs will be removed gradually from buses next year.

1,796 posts since Dec '09
    • Originally posted by SBS8533C:

I think when the TV mobile shutdown, the TVs will be removed gradually from buses next year.

SBS9661J not affected de icon_lol.gif

55,231 posts since Sep '03
    2,355 posts since Nov '05
    • Originally posted by Y_Shun:

woot

can record engine sounds now ;)

Striders, VO3X, LO3X!

Too bad 506 no more Striders. Have to go to 518. Maybe I'll just try 5 instead.

3,277 posts since Jan '09
    • Originally posted by SMB92U:

SBS9661J not affected de icon_lol.gif

it will go by stages and not in rego sequence

• EMERGENCY AMBULANCE
    82,660 posts since Feb '08
    • TV mobile programmes are just like a parrot..
      so I don't think I'll miss it when it goes..

187 posts since Aug '09
    6,531 posts since Feb '05
Please Login or Signup to reply.