17 Aug, 07:31PM in sunny Singapore!

Air Force NSF collapses, dies after run

Subscribe to Air Force NSF collapses, dies after run 27 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    601 posts since Jun '05
    • LEONG WEE KEAT
      [email protected]

He was just 20m away from completing his 2.4km run when there were signs of trouble.

Falling to his knees, full-time National Serviceman Ricky Liu Junhong reportedly crawled to the finish line, collapsing before reaching it as friends rushed to his aid.

According to eyewitnesses to the incident on Nov 15, Corporal Liu, 20, was taken to the Paya Lebar Air Base medical centre. From there, he was moved to Changi General Hospital's intensive care ward. He died last Saturday.

The Air Force School trainee, who held the rank of corporal, was given a full military burial yesterday.

Ministry of Defence (Mindef) spokesman Colonel Darius Lim said the ministry was investigating CPL Liu's death.

He said Mindef and the Singapore Armed Forces were providing assistance to the family.

CPL Liu's elder sister Yu Jun told Today that her brother had no known history of medical illness. As the youngest in the family, he was a popular figure. He was also "very active" at Temasek Polytechnic.

She said the family was struggling to come to terms with the loss as CPL Liu was close to their parents.

"He was always cheerful and would crack jokes to cheer us up," said Ms Liu.

His death is not the first such incident this year in which people collapsed while exercising.

In June, a 58-year-old defence executive officer died after a run on a treadmill at Gombak Camp.

In February, a second-year junior college student collapsed during the last 100m of a 2.4km run. She was taken to hospital but died that same day.

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/224693.asp

Collapsed on Nov 15, died on last Satuday, full military burial yesterday, made the news today. Damn.

RIP Sad Sad Sad

23,405 posts since Feb '06
    • hmmm .. is running that dangerous?...

or he already have some sort of medical complications which during medical check up.... failed to be notice?

353 posts since Aug '07
    1,355 posts since Feb '00
    • i had noted his obituary last weekend while scouting for the dragon boat people obituary. i am glad somebody is curious enough to dig out this story. there are many others that go un-noticed.

939 posts since Nov '06
    • RIP

could have been a silent heart ailment. it's sad to know such a young chap died while in service. my condolences

5,799 posts since Apr '06
    43,270 posts since Jul '04
    35,169 posts since Apr '03
    40 posts since Nov '07
    495 posts since Nov '07
    • how did they die suddenly? I mean shouldn’t we get to know it fully and take precaution?

201 posts since Oct '07
    118 posts since Oct '03
    • Originally posted by mortified:
      how did they die suddenly? I mean shouldn't we get to know it fully and take precaution?

I'm sure there will be investigations and the Coroner will rule on the causes.

1,202 posts since Feb '06
    • this incident serves as a reminder to all those who are potential IPPT Gold medalists..
      my IPPT coming soon in Dec..

10,447 posts since Jul '05
    15,229 posts since Dec '04
    10,447 posts since Jul '05
    15,229 posts since Dec '04
    16,967 posts since Mar '04
    • Originally posted by wonderamazement:
      Cannot even help?! Mad

I think he wanted to act garang. But in the end, he still CMI. Rolling Eyes

15,019 posts since Apr '03
    • nb sia… how can they watch him crawl to finishing…... when he fell should’ve help him up… looks like alot of ppl dying in runs… maybe they should do a review on ippt…

• Originally posted by iveco:
      I think he wanted to act garang. But in the end, he still CMI. Rolling Eyes

even he garand those ppl can still run over to help him lo...

1,740 posts since Aug '04
    481 posts since Nov '07
    • rest in peace fellow brother, you will never be forgotten and the SAF is honoured to have such a soldier like you.

God bless his soul and my deep condolence for his family.

3,063 posts since Sep '04
    481 posts since Nov '07
    • crawling in the ippt i think might be over exaggerated, im sure if a soldier is showing signs of unfitness/illness, medical attention will be administered immediatly.

2,480 posts since Jul '07
    • Edited for irrelevance.

Respect the nature of the thread.

Edited by LazerLordz 02 Dec `07, 8:53PM
Please Login or Signup to reply.