18 Aug, 02:43PM in sunny Singapore!
Home Club 30

Introduce A Musician

Subscribe to Introduce A Musician 42 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    24,118 posts since Nov '03
    • Now this is what I call excellent indie - meet Lykke Li

She comes from an artistic family in the southern part of Sweden and so her name is pronounced as LEW-keh Lee. She hit the scene in 2008 with the album Youth Novels and released her sophomore effort, Wounded Rhymes, last year.

The songs from both albums were written with Bjorn Yttling, and they combine sad and honest (some might say emo) lyrics with economical melodies and massive space. Her voice changes between the two albums from sad and sweet to a haunting wail and she pours her shy soul into each song.

Her early live performances incorporated a number of different instruments such as a megaphone, a toy piano and even a bathroom. I've included some of them below with my joint song-of-2011.

Albums: Youth Novels (2008), Wounded Rhymes (2011)

Sadness is a Blessing (music starts at 1:50)

Little Bit (music video) (street performance)

I'm Good, I'm Gone (Soundvenue performance)

I Follow Rivers (live from the moon) 

Breaking It Up 

Edited by Kuali Baba 21 Jan `12, 10:00AM
    • Click to enlarge and read what Nirvana/Foo Fighters's Dave Grohl had to say.

Edited by Kuali Baba 14 Feb `12, 11:54PM
    • Damn, it's been a month! But I think I've become a fan of Twin Shadow after Laneway.

George Lewis Jr is the Dominican-born, Florida-based force behind the music, which is a lot of new wave and space with shades of David Bowie, and that seldom fails to impress me. There's only one album to speak of right now, 2010's Forget, and here are my favourites:

Tyrant Destroyed

Shooting Holes (live session)

When We're Dancing

Edited by Kuali Baba 27 Feb `12, 9:31PM
    149,694 posts since Feb '01
    317 posts since May '12
    • Thanks - any videos? Hope I don't have to mine them for you. I heard Theresa Andersson a while back and she's brilliant.

317 posts since May '12
    • Originally posted by Kuali Baba:

Thanks - any videos? Hope I don't have to mine them for you. I heard Theresa Andersson a while back and she's brilliant.

you can cathc her video on You tube: Birds fly away, Hold on to me , Na Na Na

very deep and sensous for me

• Lourdes Hernandez, aka Russian Red, is this dreamy voice from Madrid. Unusually for a Spanish artist, she sings and writes exclusively in English, but that hasn't hindered her popularity back home.

You may or may not like her accent, but her folksy songs take you to faraway places on beach islands and into her heart and it's easy to lose track of time. The two albums are quite different in production, with the debut pretty raw and dry, while the second is heavy on the syth but still featuring plenty of guitars.

As a live performer she's disarmingly honest and self-deprecating, as those who were at Mosaic this year would attest.

Albums: I Love Your Glasses (2008), Fuerteventura (2011)

Every Day, Every Night (live)

Cigarettes (reworked)

Fuerteventura (live)

Edited by Kuali Baba 20 Jun `12, 10:50PM
    317 posts since May '12
    • American folk singer Jean Ritchie sings nice self penned songs

Amy Speace is a singer-songwriter songs moves me

Canadian folk singer Jennifer Castle, who is one good performer

Singer-songwriter Brooke Addamo AKA Owl Eyes gives me salvation

Frances Black, a underated  folk singer.

15 posts since Aug '12
    1,763 posts since Mar '09
    • Bumping this 'cos I'm excited about Regina Spektor's concert next month! Will post a bit about next year's Laneway performers when I get round to giving them a listen.

31,262 posts since Oct '02
    25,382 posts since Jan '04
    • I feel the need to introduce my favourite Youtube stars: The Piano Guys.

Jon Schmidt (piano) and Steven Sharp Nelson (cello) were actually already relatively successful acts on the classical concert circuit. Then one day Jon decided to practise at a music shop called The Piano Guys, and the owner decided to promote them online with self-made music videos on Youtube.

Those videos were very well-made and highly polished, and they gained a large online following. 

Check out their Youtube channel here.

They have since gone mainstream by signing a contract with Sony Music last year.

149,694 posts since Feb '01
    • okay.. here's one.. not so much for the music but for the video..

=> Biting Elbows

NSFW language or visual.. contains extreme violence..

this is the 2nd part of "Insane Office Escape".. the first one is also pretty good

Please Login or Signup to reply.