25 Feb, 10:10PM in sunny Singapore!
Home Cars

Driving tips

Subscribe to Driving tips 63 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    2,992 posts since Jan '08
    • A few days ago I was having some work done at my local garage. A blonde came in and asked for a seven-hundred-ten.

We all looked at each other and another customer asked, 'What is a seven-hundred-ten?'

She replied, 'You know, the little piece in the middle of the engine, I have lost it and need a new one..'

She replied that she did not know exactly what it was, but this piece had always been there.

The mechanic gave her a piece of paper and a pen and asked her to draw what the piece looked like.

She drew a circle and in the middle of it wrote 710. He then took her over to another car which had its hood up and asked 'is there a 710 on this car?'

She pointed and said, 'Of course, its right there.'
      If you're not sure what a 710 is Click Here

http://chickensoupforyoursoul.blogspot.com/2008/02/what-is-710.html

8,961 posts since Sep '04
    46 posts since Nov '02
    •   For those just get license, don't be too eager to cheong for a sports car. First car should be a car with power that you can get used to and manage. A high powered car is not necessarily an easier drive.

Don't cheong with a car that you are not familiar with. Every car drives differently. Straight line is easy to cheong. Good and firm cornering comes with experience... not recklessness.

Don't blindly pace others going round the corners. Not all cars are designed to conquer corners. :P

108 posts since May '07
    • Be that as it may and i don't mean to be a pessimist or anything... Most experienced drivers will agree when i say no matter how long or how detailed these good driving tips are..., a driver will pose a danger to himself and others more importantly, when he/she has a testosterone trip or are just plain reckless with a heck care attitude towards road safety. I agree though, prevention is better than cure, these individuals usually will be knocked into using their God-given sense when something bad actually happens to them.

No offence, there are many driver's who in my opinion are too rash & hot blooded. And statistically, most are between the ages of 18-25 yrs of age. Also not to exclude older drivers too, there are some that become 18 yrs old again behind the wheel. So i guess age is a factor not a cause. It all boils down to each driver to take responsibility when on our roads. Don't let ego/temprament get the better of you, or else your ego will be all people remember of you, especially when they're seeing your mangled body alongside what's left of your 'Tauhuey' sandwiched under the chassis of another vehicle on the evening news... So think before you decide to be stupid ya? Drive safe... icon_twisted.gif

32 posts since Apr '08
    14,341 posts since Sep '05
    • Originally posted by Eddyvlad:

What is the proper way to park at a busy street? Turn on hazard light?

to parallel park?

i guess slow braking, on hazard light.

when stop, off hazard light, engage reverse gear, signal left or right(where the lot is)

32 posts since Apr '08
    • Originally posted by sinicker:

to parallel park?

i guess slow braking, on hazard light.

when stop, off hazard light, engage reverse gear, signal left or right(where the lot is)

I did just that but some people still horn at me. WTF? I didn't take my own sweet time to park.

• Usually busy roads will not have roadside parking, but have  double yellow lines. Where there is parking at roadside, it is usually because that the traffic situation for that road allows it.

You indicate your intention to park by your signal light, left or right depending on where the space is.

Other impatient drivers horning, you can't help it. Just ignore them and park carefully in the usual calm fashion. Do not hurry because of them.

Sometimes the horn is to alert you to a child or a something, be wary of that.

7,209 posts since Jun '07
    • imho, unless to act as a warning, it's best to avoid sounding the horn unnecessarily. it's distracting and very irritating.

363 posts since May '05
    1,769 posts since Apr '06
    • i have a bad habit of unconsciously going rightwards. I don't know how I do it so unconsciously. At first I thought it might be because I'm gonna strike the signal buttons thats why I move the steering wheel clockwise-wards but i realise that i go rightwards even when i dont signal or what.

i'm still leaning driving btw.

is it because that i'm not used to being on the right side of the car?

how can i get rid of this? confused.png

1,275 posts since Oct '02
    • hi guys! i finally passed this time on my 2nd attempt! YAY! But now i start to worry abt driving opn the road  since i no longer have to L plate to protect me.... any tips?

• Originally posted by dahliamorie:

i have a bad habit of unconsciously going rightwards. I don't know how I do it so unconsciously. At first I thought it might be because I'm gonna strike the signal buttons thats why I move the steering wheel clockwise-wards but i realise that i go rightwards even when i dont signal or what.

i'm still leaning driving btw.

is it because that i'm not used to being on the right side of the car?

how can i get rid of this? confused.png

1. The problem could be with the car you are driving, its alignment may be off, or there is a heavy load on one side of the car..

2. Could be your eyes, you might have one lazy eye, only one eye is focused, the other just  blurr.

3. Could be no problem at all, just neglecting to correct the steering periodically.

Most likely its No.3.

Please Login or Signup to reply.