24 Apr, 04:50AM in sunny Singapore!
Home Taxi Drivers

[Rumour] Coming Soon ... Akan Datang .

Subscribe to [Rumour] Coming Soon ... Akan Datang . 96 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    886 posts since Sep '09
    • Originally posted by Poolman:

When i was a trainee taking TVDL course .

I had a chat with my LTA instructor .

I asked him why ERP not standardised at $1 per entry ? And need to follow prices of cars ?

His answers : " Then everyone would rent a taxi for personal usage , but we dun see taxi plying trade on the road . "

They are saying they would want to prevent people from abusing the car usage system in Singapore .

Especially now with rocket prices COE , they will insist with that policy .

either your instructor "siao" or that person renting a taxi to go into cdb is "siao". cheapest taxi rent let say $80. $80x30=$2400. if i got $2400 to rent a taxi for personal use, i might as well buy a car!

govt people give lame excuses when they dun have a good reason.

10,931 posts since Jun '10
    • Originally posted by Insg:

upgrade = $ from td's pocket. in the end, meter still starts at $3.00 & jumps $0.20, worth the effort, time??

worst if they put more taxi on the road cos more people retrenched meaning more cabbies sharing the same pool of pax as now.

Upgrading is a personal choice, it not only give you knowledge, it help you to see and understand thing better, given billions in budget pump into building human capital in singapore, none come into TD, with a population of 28,000 cabs now X 2, you get average 56,000 mid age singaporeans to care for themselves, and some are still very much economy asset. Singapore being no resource and human is their best resources, they should into all level of peoples, not just the PMEs or the so call talented one.

By upgrading and being certified, we TD can the reap of what was sown as any other singaporeans. You pay rental, gst this and that, bills and taxation and yet never get the fruit of what govt is giving, then, I think we are left to be, with skill certification in any levels, even when we left TD trade, at least we can get another job with such certification. But sadly, nobody look into helping TDs, NTA just want members to get their union dues to pay NTUC, taxi companies only look at profit, and govt tell TD that you are a businessman of yourself, all these add up to say that, tho singaporean, you are on yr own.

2,996 posts since Jul '11

Ok boyz , simple question ....

as a commuter .....

Given a choice .... to take a cab .

Which makes u easier to decide to take a cab ?

20% peak hour , or 35% peak hour ?

Simple logic ....

Yes , 20% will pull in those crowds back we lost during 2007 .

We lost alot from 2007 to 2010 .

U all haven't drive taxi lar ....

yeap... u do hav a point...

but morning peak hour is only tat few hours... and the demand is high from both  outside city and inside city (but of course muz know where to find pax)...

if currently almost meter non-stop during peak = $X collection... den when adjusted... will become $X - 20% ...

so eat grass liao...

39,696 posts since Oct '03
    • It will also effectively cut out a bit ... those waiting for peak hour surcharge to finish then take taxi type of people .

20% and 35% sounds big deal .

But in dollar and cents , $10 fare , $1.50 difference .

I was an OMO during 2007 December .... before they implemented that 35% , everyday , peak hour just $1 , whole street everywhere people waiting for taxis .

Uncle , students , Shenton Way's working class , Tuas workers etc .... marketing aunties , sent to childcare etc .....

A day after they implemented , not people knew how much was the increase , until when all knew it , taxi die off .

Morning also dead , evening also dead .

Morning everywhere empty taxis .... buses and trains packed like sardines .

No calls , low demands .

9am lagi steam ..... then sekali at 9.30am , everywhere people rushing for taxis .

All the way until 11am , but many of us breakfast time liao .

It shouldn't be tat way for Singapore taxis .

Edited by Poolman 14 Nov `11, 5:53AM
    12,845 posts since Oct '09
    • Originally posted by Insg:

definitely not us lah. we will play by the rules to maximise profit.

tats y i say bro now with this fare not justifiable......... we need the time

to make more $$ per shift then to be concerned bout customer service.

but for limo customers i would say yes limo drivers should practice a

high level of service n standards.  me?? i see wat kind of pax i take but

for me generally got some standard 1......... these few weeks all my midnite

AP trips 90% got tips..........

It will also effectively cut out a bit ... those waiting for peak hour surcharge to finish then take taxi type of people .

20% and 35% sounds big deal .

But in dollar and cents , $10 fare , $1.50 difference .

I was an OMO during 2007 December .... before they implemented that 35% , everyday , peak hour just $1 , whole street everywhere people waiting for taxis .

Uncle , students , Shenton Way's working class , Tuas workers etc .... marketing aunties , sent to childcare etc .....

A day after they implemented , not people knew how much was the increase , until when all knew it , taxi die off .

Morning also dead , evening also dead .

Morning everywhere empty taxis .... buses and trains packed like sardines .

No calls , low demands .

9am lagi steam ..... then sekali at 9.30am , everywhere people rushing for taxis .

All the way until 11am , but many of us breakfast time liao .

It shouldn't be tat way for Singapore taxis .

THROW~~~ THROW!!!!! THROW???   :P

5,381 posts since May '05
    • Originally posted by ALN:

so many rumour. so which one true?

just increase to $8 la.

simple mah

$8 all throw key lar PHUI!!! no 1 take taxi.........

1,638 posts since Jul '11
    • Originally posted by komade:

$8 all throw key lar PHUI!!! no 1 take taxi.........

Ya lor, i remember somewhere 20 years ago, when the flag down is $1.60 or $1.80, there is this greedy community, wanted to maximize the revenue to outshine themselves, they raises the flag down to $2.80.

A $1 increment, is a good test on the public tolerance level. The outcome, i belief you guys can remember too.

Singaporean or the general public would immune to any increment that introduce in gradually, a sudden substantial increment......... we are not "rich" afterall.

Coming 4 years, out fares still stagnant, i wonder will it be an event like our general election, once every 6 years.

The slow down in our collection today is seem to be the influx of too much Taxi, and the introduction of Taxi Stand. Too much time is taken on the queue for Taxi and commuter too. We can see many area, like Clark quay, Nee  Ann City, Nex....etc, their failure on the design and control to speed up the process are all absorb by Taxi Driver. And worst is, Taxi Driver are made to be a nuisance for queing to serve.

If there isn't any Fares hike, i would prefer the improvement on the flow of Taxi Stands, it's benefit both Taxi Driver and Commuter. But again, that require additional manpower and cost, i doubt our "poor" authority got the funding for this. 

• The authority ideology is simple, as long as got taxis on the road, not much complain, problem solved, the more taxis, the merrier and less problem for them. You must remember what they said to you, as TD, you are a businessman of your own, from a general worker or army or some junior worker or delivery drivers, out of a sudden, you become a businessman, isn't that great??

But the underside of it, is that as businessman, you are on your own, no pity or sympathy required, it either you make it or you go burst and left to rot. Same like most other business, the more the competition, the more yao each become and the more struggling and productive each become, and that help the authority in a way that they can shake legs and watch the cabbies struggling thru themselves. Renting out a taxis is the same renting a stall to sell your products, a small and medium enterprise, or in short, SME. In a capitalist country like singapore, no glory is required, only money is required, only the toughest survive, its a dog eats dog world created, and like komade use to say, no mercy required. It is not that we are merciless people, but because being mercy can get you dead in this kind of society created.

Fare hike today is unlike yesterday, where announcement was make and fares goes up across the spectrum of all taxis, today, with a diversity of taxis companies and new cabs coming into picture, the fare had already adjusted in silence, from $2.80 to $5.00, it gives commuter the right to choose, and it gives the people who want to drive taxi to have more choices, just like buffet style. As said many time before, fare hike in taxis will justify new cabs on the road, and pax who do not mind to pay $0.20 or a dollar more, just hop in and enjoy a better, comfortable ride.

• Originally posted by bowah:

The authority ideology is simple, as long as got taxis on the road, not much complain, problem solved, the more taxis, the merrier and less problem for them. You must remember what they said to you, as TD, you are a businessman of your own, from a general worker or army or some junior worker or delivery drivers, out of a sudden, you become a businessman, isn't that great??

But the underside of it, is that as businessman, you are on your own, no pity or sympathy required, it either you make it or you go burst and left to rot. Same like most other business, the more the competition, the more yao each become and the more struggling and productive each become, and that help the authority in a way that they can shake legs and watch the cabbies struggling thru themselves. Renting out a taxis is the same renting a stall to sell your products, a small and medium enterprise, or in short, SME. In a capitalist country like singapore, no glory is required, only money is required, only the toughest survive, its a dog eats dog world created, and like komade use to say, no mercy required. It is not that we are merciless people, but because being mercy can get you dead in this kind of society created.

Fare hike today is unlike yesterday, where announcement was make and fares goes up across the spectrum of all taxis, today, with a diversity of taxis companies and new cabs coming into picture, the fare had already adjusted in silence, from $2.80 to $5.00, it gives commuter the right to choose, and it gives the people who want to drive taxi to have more choices, just like buffet style. As said many time before, fare hike in taxis will justify new cabs on the road, and pax who do not mind to pay $0.20 or a dollar more, just hop in and enjoy a better, comfortable ride.

The authority ideology is simple, as long as got taxis on the road, not much complain, problem solved, the more taxis, the merrier and less problem for them.

This is an Open Ideology,is for the public and is always simple and rational. 

I have their "Hidden Agenda" theory.

Problem Solving

Firstly, there must be problem. When there is no Problem, there is no requirement for our existence. So, create it even it doesn't exist.

Do not allow the Problem we created to destory ourselves, it is silly. Divert it to others and benefit from it.

Only deploy our resources when there is an obvious benefit.

Benefit = Fine = Collecting Money

Problem = Complaint = Fines = Collecting Money

Isn't these are the practices we recieve today?

A good example is Clark Quay, on a busy night, there is officer there. Are they there to manage order or Giving Fines?

• icon_lol.gif I would said, both, scholars are employed not to kill one bird with one stone, but to kill 3 birds with one stone. Then that is a good scholar.

Like it or not, where Taxis is concern, LTA objective is simple, more taxis on the road, less complain and you just added, more fines, taxis are adequately available most of the time including odd hours timming and finally, more corporate tax received from profitable taxis companies. The End result will be a near orderly discipline and yet a good return of investment.

If you will to travel to malaysia or australia or even part of the west, at nite, you can hardly get cabs, unless you pre booked, and mostly are privately owned. Their TDs do not work until like us, day and nite non stop like hungry ghosts. 2 points of why they are not so yao, because cost of living is low, like malaysia, own taxis, own timing, no rental, cheap diesel, in parts of the west or OZ, respect individual working hours, live more like a human than a slave, low rental but high fares which ultimately they do not have to slog thru like us, and also finally, too much crime at nite. One of my uncle is a taxi driver in JB, he laughed when we drive 12hrs at time. His one trip to KL enough already.

The ideology is not to create or infest problem, but to set a clear objectives of what you want to achieve and get at the end result, and along the road, problem and hiccup arises, which by and large is a day by day issue. Without a clear objectives, nothing works because at the end of the day, we get nothing, not to mention problems. As a layman Taxi driver plying your business on the road, what is your objectives? for the day, for the month, for the years, and for many years to come. Problem arises when you face all kind of disturbing issues that prevent your smooth transition to your objectives. For eg, today you want to make $200 net profit on the road with 10 hrs to spare, and by the rule of the thumb and your experiences, should not be a problem, but something along the route get jammed or flooded, you get a lousy pax who used up lots of your time, your daughter called up and need you to pick her as she is lost in some road, end up you just make $150 instead of initial objective of $200. So, have you failed?? yes or no, but certainly you get smarter, the next time, or the next day, you start to set achieveable targets and shift your goals, a more realistic goal which your feel comfortable enough to achieve and also you need to set allowances, maybe $150 to $180 and not a rigidity target of die die must get $180.

That is what LTA did, allow as much taxi licence to be issue as possible to both drivers and companies buying for taxis, the objective is to have enuf taxis day and nite in singapore in order to call themselves the first world land tranport system. Whatever the companies and drivers going to do or not to do, is not really a matter, by allowing 28,000 taxis on the road, at any one time, they know that with 20,000 on the road, it should be ok, taxi driver will huat for that day and time, but if all 28,000 is on the road, so be it, more taxi more merrier for them, but for the poor cabbies on the road, it will be vultures vs eagles chasing for paxs.

• wat to do rite guys?? we r forced to be merciless drivers..........

even rainning outside CBD see a mother with baby in hand n

a small child at the side how many of us would stop..............

• Originally posted by komade:

wat to do rite guys?? we r forced to be merciless drivers..........

even rainning outside CBD see a mother with baby in hand n

a small child at the side how many of us would stop..............

Must stop, at least stop and interview mah.

• Originally posted by OptimalTrans:

Must stop, at least stop and interview mah.

nah...... dun hav time......... i worry bout my pockets 1st.........

807 posts since May '06
    • I wont stop for a mothe with a baby pramp. To their convenience but not to me . I rather go to the coffee shop to ling kopi. I must treasure my life . I let other taxis to eat.

39,696 posts since Oct '03
    • Originally posted by benqepson:

I wont stop for a mothe with a baby pramp. To their convenience but not to me . I rather go to the coffee shop to ling kopi. I must treasure my life . I let other taxis to eat.

Members , that is a ruthless quote .

All season drivers are like that one .

Members , that is a ruthless quote .

All season drivers are like that one .

bo bian bro.....whos fault?? its society's fault..........

• Frankly speaking, in singapore, society and govt is the most easiest way of finding fault, anything not agreeable or unable to do it, you can alway blame it on the society and govt, which, can be true too.icon_lol.gif

It usually experiences that give us the empathy on the society needs. I am a victim of having to carry 2 babies, one on cot with wife pushing and one on my right hand, left hand waving furiously for a cab near OG rocher bus stop, it was going to rain. At that time, as a young father, I cursed and sweared at TDs who passed by empty or instead go into CBD or choose take other younger or tourist pax, today, as a TD myself, I will stop for any babies on the road.

• Originally posted by bowah:

Frankly speaking, in singapore, society and govt is the most easiest way of finding fault, anything not agreeable or unable to do it, you can alway blame it on the society and govt, which, can be true too.icon_lol.gif

It usually experiences that give us the empathy on the society needs. I am a victim of having to carry 2 babies, one on cot with wife pushing and one on my right hand, left hand waving furiously for a cab near OG rocher bus stop, it was going to rain. At that time, as a young father, I cursed and sweared at TDs who passed by empty or instead go into CBD or choose take other younger or tourist pax, today, as a TD myself, I will stop for any babies on the road.

Actually, i couldn't understand too. 

As long it is a pick up within my plan, it is a destination within my desire, why not?

Because of our behavior and perception, our road is already very narrow, ending up as a Taxi Driver. Should we further narrowing our road which had become a path now?

Please Login or Signup to reply.