Please Login or Signup to reply.
    7,329 posts since Mar '10
    •  

Originally posted by Rock^Star:

More typical chinglish sentences:

这个 weighing machine 不准的。

那个洗衣机的 pipe 破了。

那个 frying pan 的 handle 坏了。

把那个 spatula 交给我。 (spatula is the utensil used for frying...hope you all know!!)

把面包放进去 oven.

把碟子放进去 basin.

你的冰箱很多 magnet 啊。

Kettle 里面的水滚了。

那个 stove 上面有一个 kettle.

洗完了碗碟就把它放进 dish holder.

饭桌已经有了 table mat.

The variation from your versions that I use most and naturally:

• 這個weighing machine不準的。 (same)
      • 那個洗衣機的pipe破了(liǎo)。  (same)   or   破了(liǎo)。
      • 那個frying pan的handle壞了(liǎo)。
      • I donno how to use “spatula”, and I donno how to use “交給我”, I use plain “拿給我”。
      • I seldom use “把”-type sentences so it becomes 麵包放進(去)oven。  (sometimes i don't use “去” oso)
      • no “把”, so 碟子放進(去)basin。  (sometimes i don't use “去” oso )
      • 你的雪柜上面有很多magnet leh。   or    你的雪柜上面(黏到)多magnet啊。
      • Kettle裏面的水滾了(liǎo)。  (same)
      • 那個stove上面有一個kettle。  (same)
      • I seldom use “把”-type sentences,  洗完碗盤(了 liǎo)就它放進dish holder。
      • 飯桌已經有table mat了(liǎo)。  (same)

Edited by BanguIzai 03 Jul `11, 7:54AM
    • Originally posted by Rock^Star:

Wah jia lat....trying to copy the idioms from your PDF and so much crap comes out.

Huh,  then how?

11,142 posts since Jul '05
    • Originally posted by BanguIzai:

This book cannot be found anywhere outside liao cos it is published after WWII that time I think. So I don't haf this book on hand. I first got hold of this book from the old National Library in mid-1994 dat time. Before I read this book, my general interest was mainly in non-Chinese orthography, Central Asian and Paleosiberian culturo-history & some Indian (mainly Indo-Aryan) linguistics. So happy was I after reading this book that I borrowed the book continuously for around 9 to 11 months with intensive reading (if you remember the old library system can renew unlimited sia). After that, I borrowed the book off-and-on when I needed to reference. I think I virtually memorized the whole book that time leh (I could know whatever info I want on around any page). When the old National Library was closed for renovation for a year in 1997, I lost touch with the book for around 1 year. However when the old National Library was reopened in 1998, the book has been removed from the borrowing shelfs and transfered to the reference section on the 3rd floor. The book might be there all the way up till when the old National Library closed its doors in 2004 (I seldom go coz v mafan liao). Then when the new National Library opened its doors in 2005, I tried to search the book again and this time the book is even removed from the reference section as it is deemed to be very very precious. To read the book now, one must pay $1.55 and ask them to retrieve it from the Archives in advance (The Repository) and can only read within the library. I haven't seen the book for years already.

The book starts off by describing the history of Chinese language, and the huge chunk of the book details the reconstruction of Proto-Ancient Chinese, Ancient Chinese, Middle Chinese and Modern Chinese. It refers heavily to works by Pulleybank, Bernhard Karlgren, Li Fang Kuei on it's reconstruction. Subsequently, he gives detailed analysis on all the Southern Chinese topolects and gives a synchronical and dichronical reconstruction of all the proto-Southern Chinese topolects. A huge part at the end of the book details the comparison of words tabled in consonant classes, vowel classes, and rime classes for the purpose of reconstructing Proto-Ancient Chinese as well as for all the Southern Chinese topolects. This is the most often referred-to section by me. This book also built all the basis required for me to handle phonetics, phonology, and morphosyntax. I think this is what as much as I can remember liao.

You reading that book for 9-11 months just abouts says your broad passion for languages in China. Reminds me of when I used to read the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms and many other military stories about china. It's really addictive....and the more I read, the happier I am.

• I donno how to use “spatula”, and I donno how to use “交給我”, I use plain “拿給我”。
      • I seldom use “把”-type sentences so it becomes 麵包放進(去)oven。  (sometimes i don't use “去” oso)

Anyone else? Besides me and bangulzai all the time haha. Is this what you normally say in the kitchen?

• Taken from last night's 你猜:

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing>7,8 pt</w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing> <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery> <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>2</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>ZH-CN</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:SpaceForUL/> <w:BalanceSingleByteDoubleByteWidth/> <w:DoNotLeaveBackslashAlone/> <w:ULTrailSpace/> <w:DoNotExpandShiftReturn/> <w:AdjustLineHeightInTable/> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.5pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-font-kerning:1.0pt;} </style> <![endif]-->

蓄势待发

跃升为搜寻榜的第一名

蛛丝马迹

打造

凹凸有致

牵扯

哪怕

关节

脑部缺氧

慵懒

飘渺

激昂

酥麻

模仿的标的

包罗万象,琳琅满目

呛到

酥脆

辣酱放一起调味

内陷饱满

打鼾

打呵欠

You reading that book for 9-11 months just abouts says your broad passion for languages in China. Reminds me of when I used to read the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms and many other military stories about china. It's really addictive....and the more I read, the happier I am.

Getting the book together with me for so long, is only coz the book is very thick like a pillow lah so need to take so long to thoroughly finish, understand the book, and apply it. I learning from scratch mah. I forgot to add, a huge section of Forrest's book also deals with the reconstruction of Proto-Ancient Chinese and Ancient Chinese by studying through the relationship between Ancient Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese phonology and their phonotactics, and the reconstruction of Proto-Chinese Topolects by studying through the relationship between Proto-Austroasiatic, Proto-Tai-Kradai, Proto-Austronesian and Proto-Tibeto-Burman phonology, phonotactics, morphology and syntax.

This is why the book attracted my attention, coz I am not just doing Sinology, but as well as doing Japanology, Koreanology and Vietology (the 3 main non-Proto-Sinitic Sinocentric countries). Japanology and Koreanology is intrincately tied up with Altaicology and Altaicology is what it's about Central Asian as well as Paleosiberian culturo-historical influence (my original interest), and Vietology leads to opening up of Indo-China areal studies, which branches off to Tai-Kradai studies (which ultimately linked back to Sinology), Austronesian studies (which linked back to Tai-Kradai substratum and hypothetic Japanological substratum), Austroasiatic studies (which ultimately linked back to Sinology substratum) and Tibeto-Burman studies which is intricately tied up with Indo-Aryan culturo-lingistical influence (my original interest).

Therefore, everything is interrelated to each other and there is no way for me to only know one but not the other.   I am so ashamed of myself that I did not read and did not cultivated the interest to have started reading the romance of the three kingdoms even until today.   Paiseh.

My replies in blue and bold blue.

• 這個weighing machine不準的。 (same) 这个体重计不准的。If referring to a kitchen scale, then it's 磅秤 (bang4 cheng4)
      • 那個洗衣機的pipe破了(liǎo)。  (same)   or   破了(liǎo)。洗衣机的排水管破了。
      • 那個frying pan的handle壞了(liǎo)。那个钢锅把坏了。
      • I donno how to use “spatula”, and I donno how to use “交給我”, I use plain “拿給我”。I think 锅铲 is the word.
      • I seldom use “把”-type sentences so it becomes 麵包放進(去)oven。  (sometimes i don't use “去” oso) If you don't use 把, I think it's fine. All informal dialogues actually. Anyway, an oven is 烘炉
      • no “把”, so 碟子放進(去)basin。  (sometimes i don't use “去” oso ) 碟子放进洗碗盆。
      • 你的雪柜上面有很多magnet leh。   or    你的雪柜上面(黏到)多magnet啊。 你的雪柜贴了好多装饰磁铁啊。
      • Kettle裏面的水滾了(liǎo)。  (same) 水壶里面的水滚了。
      • 那個stove上面有一個kettle。  (same) 火炉上有一个水壶。If it's electric stove, it's 电炉
      • I seldom use “把”-type sentences,  洗完碗盤(了 liǎo)就它放進dish holder。 洗完碗碟就把它放进碗碟架
      • 飯桌已經有table mat了(liǎo)。  (same) 饭桌已经放了碗碟垫
      Edited by Rock^Star 03 Jul `11, 10:36PM

Taken from last night's 你猜:

蓄势待发

跃升为搜寻榜的第一名

蛛丝马迹

打造

凹凸有致

牵扯

哪怕

关节

脑部缺氧

慵懒

飘渺

激昂

酥麻

模仿的标的

包罗万象,琳琅满目

呛到

酥脆

辣酱放一起调味

内陷饱满

打鼾

打呵欠 

蓄勢待發 - all geared up and prepared to start (a plan / a mission)

躍升為搜尋榜的第一名 - rise to become (搜尋榜 is wat?)'s first-in-place

蛛絲馬跡 - traces here and there

打造 - revamp (someone)

凹凸有致 - ????  -  (uneven surface got style?)

牽扯 - involve unrelated topic

哪怕 - 我要干這事,哪怕衹欠東風

晃 - ????

關節 - joints

腦部缺氧 - brain deprive oxygen

慵懶 - lazing (in a positive sense), like describing cats

飄渺 - not realizable

激昂 - 激昂唱國歌

酥麻 - ????

模仿的標的 - i know 模仿, wat is 標的????

包羅萬象,琳琅滿目 - includes everything,  pau-kah-liau-liau, kuah-kah-hien-hien (in hokkien)

嗆到 - choked

酥脆 - crispy

辣醬放一起調味 - mix the chilli concoctment together to taste

内陷飽滿 - full of the 料 inside (eg. pau)

打鼾 - snore

打呵欠 - yawn

My replies in blue and bold blue.

• 這個weighing machine不準的。 (same) 这个体重计不准的。If referring to a kitchen scale, then it's 磅秤 (bang4 cheng4)
      • 那個洗衣機的pipe破了(liǎo)。  (same)   or   破了(liǎo)。洗衣机的排水管破了。
      • 那個frying pan的handle壞了(liǎo)。那个钢锅把坏了。
      • I donno how to use “spatula”, and I donno how to use “交給我”, I use plain “拿給我”。I think 锅铲 is the word.
      • I seldom use “把”-type sentences so it becomes 麵包放進(去)oven。  (sometimes i don't use “去” oso) If you don't use 把, I think it's fine. All informal dialogues actually. Anyway, an oven is 烘炉
      • no “把”, so 碟子放進(去)basin。  (sometimes i don't use “去” oso ) 碟子放进洗碗盆。
      • 你的雪柜上面有很多magnet leh。   or    你的雪柜上面(黏到)多magnet啊。 你的雪柜贴了好多装饰磁铁啊。
      • Kettle裏面的水滾了(liǎo)。  (same) 水壶里面的水滚了。
      • 那個stove上面有一個kettle。  (same) 火炉上有一个水壶。If it's electric stove, it's 电炉
      • I seldom use “把”-type sentences,  洗完碗盤(了 liǎo)就它放進dish holder。 洗完碗碟就把它放进碗碟架
      • 飯桌已經有table mat了(liǎo)。  (same) 饭桌已经放了碗碟垫

For Chinese versions (when not mixed with English), my usual variations from your points noted are:

• 這個不凖的。 (i no use 磅秤 - 我講起來很拗口呀~~)
      • 洗衣機的那條水管破(掉/去)了(liǎo)。  (hehe, cos i dun no actual word)
      • 那個煎鍋(斷/壞)(掉/去)了(liǎo)。  (hehe, i like frying pan = 煎鍋 (self-translation) / 柄's the oni word i know naturally)
      • I dunno wat's spatula (i never use dat term in english in the kitchen), in my vocab got 鍋剷 like you, but my 鍋 is always pronounced as ""
      • 洪爐 (same)
      • 碟子放進水盆。 (in my home every basin is called 水盆, no differentiate)
      • 裝飾磁鐵 is nice,  learn from u one.
      • 水壺 is my vocab means water-bottle, we haf no kettle at home so this vocab is non-existent, we use the electric water heater thing, which we call 熱水壺。
      • The cooking thing in my home is always called 煤氣爐。
      • The dish holder thing to drip water one is always called plainly 架子 cos we dunno the right vocab.  Even for me to invent, I may say 碗架 without the 碟 cos 碟 in my vocab always oni refer to the small dish (to put sauce dat kind).  Even small plates (for eating or putting cooked food) is called 小盤 in my variation.
      • In real life, I dunno the last one cos we dun use table mat

For Chinese versions (when not mixed with English), my usual variations from your points noted are:

• 這個不凖的。 (i no use 磅秤 - 我講起來很拗口呀~~)
      • 洗衣機的那條水管破(掉/去)了(liǎo)。  (hehe, cos i dun no actual word)
      • 那個煎鍋(斷/壞)(掉/去)了(liǎo)。  (hehe, i like frying pan = 煎鍋 (self-translation) / 柄's the oni word i know naturally)
      • I dunno wat's spatula (i never use dat term in english in the kitchen), in my vocab got 鍋剷 like you, but my 鍋 is always pronounced as ""
      • 洪爐 (same)
      • 碟子放進水盆。 (in my home every basin is called 水盆, no differentiate)
      • 裝飾磁鐵 is nice,  learn from u one.
      • 水壺 is my vocab means water-bottle, we haf no kettle at home so this vocab is non-existent, we use the electric water heater thing, which we call 熱水壺。
      • The cooking thing in my home is always called 煤氣爐。
      • The dish holder thing to drip water one is always called plainly 架子 cos we dunno the right vocab.  Even for me to invent, I may say 碗架 without the 碟 cos 碟 in my vocab always oni refer to the small dish (to put sauce dat kind).  Even small plates (for eating or putting cooked food) is called 小盤 in my variation.
      • In real life, I dunno the last one cos we dun use table mat

That's the great thing about mandarin, it's so flexible. No one can really stake a claim to what's the accurate word for it. Cheers :)

That's the great thing about mandarin, it's so flexible. No one can really stake a claim to what's the accurate word for it. Cheers :)

It's different brought up. I was just discussing with a friend at coffeeshop past midnight yesterday on differences on special vocab perculiarly down to certain families only.  One example she gave me was, she got a friend, until oni when my friend pointed out to her friend that there is no such common saying such as "別裏" to refer to "別的地方" dat her friend realized that was a saying that oni existed in her family. And also in Singapore, some families mix more Hokkien substratum, some mix more Teochew substratum, some mix more Cantonese substratum into the Mandarin that they speak depending on their dialect groups, therefore the difference. Example, I oni hear my friend whose family is Cantonese use the term "犯賤" very often but not in non-Cantonese friends.

• I upload this that I think would be great for you.

See whether this old book, can help you in your studies towards your goal.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F7D4UHS3

打造 - revamp (someone)

哪怕 - 我要干這事,哪怕衹欠東風

晃 - ????

飄渺 - not realizable

酥麻 - ????

包羅萬象,琳琅滿目 - includes everything,  pau-kah-liau-liau, kuah-kah-hien-hien (in hokkien)

嗆到 - choked

内陷飽滿 - full of the 料 inside (eg. pau)

Tks for the attempt as usual and I shall only mention those in blue below. The rest are deemed indisputable haha.

搜寻榜 refers to the search engine rankings.....

打造 - revamp (someone)

I think it can also mean "to create". For eg: 打造一个新的形象 or 打造一个新的未来

Referring to the stylish curves of a woman.

哪怕 - 我要干這事,哪怕衹欠東風

That's right. If there's any English word to place on it, it should be "even if".

晃 - ????

As in 晃来晃去。。。 。shaking here and there.

According to 我猜, it means laidback / languid. Not so much of laziness.

飄渺 - not realizable

As in hardly discernable? Eg: 他的声音很飘渺 (piao1 miao2),几乎完全听不到。

酥麻 - ????

Numb. Actually, well just a personal opinion, many chinese words are better said or heard when they come in twos. Just using 麻 would be fine too.

Haha this one I'm not sure if it's china or taiwan but 标的 means 目的。Ok, maybe not as common as what we normally use: 目标 or 目的。

Just to add....琳琅 means glittering jewels or accessories.

嗆到 - choked

I believe it can also mean the chili or wasabi getting into one's nasal path and causing discomfort.

It's different brought up. I was just discussing with a friend at coffeeshop past midnight yesterday on differences on special vocab perculiarly down to certain families only.  One example she gave me was, she got a friend, until oni when my friend pointed out to her friend that there is no such common saying such as "別裏" to refer to "別的地方" dat her friend realized that was a saying that oni existed in her family. And also in Singapore, some families mix more Hokkien substratum, some mix more Teochew substratum, some mix more Cantonese substratum into the Mandarin that they speak depending on their dialect groups, therefore the difference. Example, I oni hear my friend whose family is Cantonese use the term "犯賤" very often but not in non-Cantonese friends.

Yeh that's why. No one's to say who's really wrong. I believe the Chinese everywhere accept that....because if the chinese listen to taiwanese variety shows and vice versa, they will not understand all of the lingo used.

Reminds me of how Stef Sun said "半桶水" in 我猜 show many years back and Jacky Wu was stumped. Haha.

I wouldn't use 犯贱 personally. I'd probably use 很随便,放荡 or 奔放。

Tks for the attempt as usual and I shall only mention those in blue below. The rest are deemed indisputable haha.

搜寻榜 refers to the search engine rankings.....

打造 - revamp (someone)

I think it can also mean "to create". For eg: 打造一个新的形象 or 打造一个新的未来

Referring to the stylish curves of a woman.

哪怕 - 我要干這事,哪怕衹欠東風

That's right. If there's any English word to place on it, it should be "even if".

晃 - ????

As in 晃来晃去。。。 。shaking here and there.

According to 我猜, it means laidback / languid. Not so much of laziness.

飄渺 - not realizable

As in hardly discernable? Eg: 他的声音很飘渺 (piao1 miao2),几乎完全听不到。

酥麻 - ????

Numb. Actually, well just a personal opinion, many chinese words are better said or heard when they come in twos. Just using 麻 would be fine too.

Haha this one I'm not sure if it's china or taiwan but 标的 means 目的。Ok, maybe not as common as what we normally use: 目标 or 目的。

Just to add....琳琅 means glittering jewels or accessories.

嗆到 - choked

I believe it can also mean the chili or wasabi getting into one's nasal path and causing discomfort.

• 搜尋榜!cheem man!
      • thanks for elaboration and correction on 打造
      • 凹凸有致!alamak!
      • Actually I got the meaning wrong for 哪怕 leh。 When I made the sentence, in mind was thinking 哪怕 is "I am determined to complete this task, only thing is worried that something is still lacking"
      • thanks for the correction on 慵懶
      • thanks for the correction on 飄渺。 In my mind, my original meaning i thought use in such sentence as "你不要做夢了,你這是飄渺無際的想法。"
      • thanks for the elaboration on 酥麻
      • thanks for the elaboration on 標的
      • thanks for the elaboration on 琳琅
      • thanks for the elaboration and correction on 嗆到
    • What amazes me is when I really sat down and scrutinised these taiwan / china shows, there are actually so many new words, variant words or forgotten terms to learn from. And each new show promises unexpected vocab. Just amazing.

Yeh that's why. No one's to say who's really wrong. I believe the Chinese everywhere accept that....because if the chinese listen to taiwanese variety shows and vice versa, they will not understand all of the lingo used.

Reminds me of how Stef Sun said "半桶水" in 我猜 show many years back and Jacky Wu was stumped. Haha.

I wouldn't use 犯贱 personally. I'd probably use 很随便,放荡 or 奔放。

半桶水 is good, it brings out the meaning aptly and accurately. Jacky Wu should not stump.  He is in Taiwan where Taiwanese shows import lots of other Min-nan vocab to enrich it's own Mandarin.

When I watched one episode of 『冒險王』 before,  I heard the 旁白 of the show and saw accurately the subtitle printed the Hokkien idiom read in Mandarin “老神在在” used naturally !   Jacky Wu would not stump on that, because it is commonly used there.

What amazes me is when I really sat down and scrutinised these taiwan / china shows, there are actually so many new words, variant words or forgotten terms to learn from. And each new show promises unexpected vocab. Just amazing.

你真行。

半桶水 is good, it brings out the meaning aptly and accurately. Jacky Wu should not stump.  He is in Taiwan where Taiwanese shows import lots of other Min-nan vocab to enrich it's own Mandarin.

When I watched one episode of 『冒險王』 before,  I heard the 旁白 of the show and saw accurately the subtitle printed the Hokkien idiom read in Mandarin “老神在在” used naturally !   Jacky Wu would not stump on that, because it is commonly used there.

Really, 半桶水should be understood? Haha, I have no idea....and don't know where it came from.

I upload this that I think would be great for you.

See whether this old book, can help you in your studies towards your goal.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F7D4UHS3

Fantastic book....so fantastic that of the proverbs and idioms inside, I've only come across about 40% of it haha. A lot to learn from there. Tks man.

• Taken from last night's 综艺大哥大:

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing>7,8 pt</w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing> <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery> <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>2</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>ZH-CN</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:SpaceForUL/> <w:BalanceSingleByteDoubleByteWidth/> <w:DoNotLeaveBackslashAlone/> <w:ULTrailSpace/> <w:DoNotExpandShiftReturn/> <w:AdjustLineHeightInTable/> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.5pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-font-kerning:1.0pt;} </style> <![endif]-->

排山倒海

出水芙蓉

美女如云

按部就班

下载量

画作

顺手牵羊

浅显易懂

意境

连贯

掌上明珠

Taken from last night's 综艺大哥大:

排山倒海

出水芙蓉

美女如云

按部就班

下载量

画作

顺手牵羊

浅显易懂

意境

连贯

掌上明珠 

排山倒海 - 排山倒海的氣勢, dunno how to explain

出水芙蓉 - hibiscus coming out of water, dunno

美女如雲 - lots of chiobus

按部就班 - follow the prescribed method

下載量 - download rate

畫作 - drawing / painting

順手牽羊 - 大暴亂,商店被劫,暴民也順手牽羊地把商店裏頭的貨品全帶回家。

淺顯易懂 - easy to understand

意境 - 詩的意境 、 畫的意境

連貫 - flow,coherence,connection

掌上明珠 - precious daughter

Really, 半桶水should be understood? Haha, I have no idea....and don't know where it came from.

(Sorry for the poor photo quality)

Entry from Hokkien Dictionary:

Entry from the Cantonese, Hakka, Teochew 3-way dictionary:

Entry from the Kwongchau Cantonese dictionary:

Entry from the Tungkwun Cantonese Dictionary:

Entry from the Moiyen Hakka Dictionary:

Entry from the Leizhou Dictionary:

Entry from the Haikou Hainanese Dictionary:

Entry from the JianOu Dictionary:

Entry from the PingXiang Gan Dictionary:

Entry from the Chengdu Southwestern Mandarin Dictionary:

And if that is not enough,  the entry from Taiwan's own Taiwanese Minnan Dictionary:

Edited by BanguIzai 04 Jul `11, 8:36PM

Fantastic book....so fantastic that of the proverbs and idioms inside, I've only come across about 40% of it haha. A lot to learn from there. Tks man.

A neighbour 姐姐 last time gave to me one. I scan it so more people can read it.

美女如雲 - lots of chiobus

下載量 - download rate

畫作 - drawing / painting

意境 - 詩的意境 、 畫的意境

掌上明珠 - precious daughter

Clarifications in blue as usual.

Sentence is correct. I guess the correct word to explain this idiom would be "spectacular".

Direct translation spot on. It refers to stunning beauty. Like 沉鱼落雁。

美女如雲 - lots of chiobus

Just to add....it also means "very orderly".

下載量 - download rate

畫作 - drawing / painting

Do you think it's similar to 浑水摸鱼?

This 浅显 got me confused for a while. It's actually the same as 明显。

意境 - 詩的意境 、 畫的意境

For benefit of readers, it means "creativity".

For eg: 把一连串的概念连贯起来 (normally used as a verb)

掌上明珠 - precious daughter

Please Login or Signup to reply.