25 Jul, 08:32PM in sunny Singapore!
Home Chit Chat

A B E but no place in University.. Den parent blames Unis..

Subscribe to A B E but no place in University.. Den parent blames Unis.. 187 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
  • Pwn u.
    9,756 posts since Dec '05
    • A, B, E but no place in the local universities
      MY DAUGHTER'S recent applications for entry to the three local universities - Nanyang Technological University, National University of Singapore (NUS) and Singapore Management University - were all rejected. The reasons given were an overwhelming response, limited places in the universities and stiff competition.
      My daughter is an above-average student who had excelled in sports. She has met all the criteria for entry to a local university. Is being eligible not enough? Must one now get extraordinary grades to be granted a place in university?

Like her, many young Singaporeans her age must have had their dream of pursuing a higher education dashed recently. Ironically, the universities are still advertising for applications. Are they looking for A-star performers who have more than one option? Are they raising their standards for applicants so that they will be able to improve their world ranking - just like an elite school or junior college that accepts only the best in Singapore so that ultimately its ranking will be at the top?

The Minister for Education had said that 'no Singaporean should be deprived of a good education', so what about the many students, like my daughter, who are qualified to enter university after two years of hard slog, only to be told that they had not been selected due to limited vacancies and stiff competition?

The Education Ministry should look into this problem with a sense of urgency as it only shows a lack of planning to meet the aspirations of young Singaporeans who want to study for a degree.

Local universities are publicly funded. Isn't it about loyalty and kinship that citizens are given a chance to study there as long as they are eligible for entry?

Are my daughter's grades of an A, B, C (General Paper) and an E not good enough?

My son, who is 27 years old and had A-level grades of A, B and C, graduated with a Second Upper Class Honours degree in the Arts and Social Sciences at NUS.

See Chee Wee

Wad do u guys think? From the red-coloured points.. I tink the auntie has a problem with her ego..

She cant accept that her kid did not get into university.. I don't see how her kid is an ABOVE AVERAGE student though.. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Cant wait to see how the 3 unis will reply to her..

Moreover, she nv state her daughter chioce rite.. Wad if she put things like MEdicine and nv get in? Unis fault ar?

Auntie.. Grow up lar.. I dun see why u need to bring ur son's 2nd upper honors into the picture also..

http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_123758.html

Edited by motoway 29 May `07, 10:33PM
    54,017 posts since Aug '05
    38,115 posts since Jun '05
    35,170 posts since Apr '03
    • A & B should have gotten entry to any faculty in normal years.

This Dragon year is the one causing the problem.

Frankly, what's wrong with A, B and E? Rolling Eyes

5,529 posts since May '07
    • wahahahaha….my cousin got letter saying she was accepted at NUS and Nanyang or was it SIM

7,293 posts since Jan '07
    • At least my parents won't bother so much.. I was rejected by the ploys and was offered in place in a college in US.. Very Happy

• Pwn u.
    • Originally posted by LazerLordz:
      A & B should have gotten entry to any faculty in normal years.

E is the Problem.. A and B is no problem.. But a C for GP? A B E C? GOOD MEH?

• Originally posted by soulwinner:
      At least my parents won't bother so much.. I was rejected by the ploys and was offered in place in a college in US.. Very Happy

Community College? Good for you if you are enrolling in one that allows you to transfer credits to reptuable American Unis.

A good one is the UCLA Community College program.

• its called fate…so face it…..dun get to go uni here then try somewhere else lah…kena blow by wind dunno how to stand back up isit

5,373 posts since Dec '00

If she has got ABD mebbe she will get in

The E is to be blamed

• Pwn u.
    • Originally posted by soulwinner:
      At least my parents won't bother so much.. I was rejected by the ploys and was offered in place in a college in US.. Very Happy

got marnee ma.. No money how to go US?

• Originally posted by motoway:
      E is the Problem.. A and B is no problem.. But a C for GP? A B E C? GOOD MEH?

Perhaps. If her daughter had gotten an A in GP, she would get automatic entry into Arts or Social Sciences regardless of her A Level subjects.

That's why English is so damned important. Mad

1,456 posts since Feb '07
    54,017 posts since Aug '05

Nothing wrong, just that her mum is not happy.

And this is not the first time such things happened to dragon babies.

PSLE - Maths paper too hard.

O Levels Biology - Wrong facts given, students waste time figuring out what's wrong, complain to teacher, teacher says it's correct (that one is laughable, I wonder if our teachers return their knowledge to their teachers Rolling Eyes )

Now, uni entrance.

It's already too common until it isn't wrong.

• Originally posted by club18:
      C for GP not good meh?
      i struggling to get D.. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Reality check. Always work to get at least B4 or B3 in your GP.

That way, your A Level subject grades' importance can be lessened, and you have one more faculty available, or at least english language majors can be opened to you.

7,293 posts since Jan '07
    • Originally posted by laoda99:

The E is to be blamed

yar..

• please lah dun blame the goddamn dragon….one’s own fate is the result of their action

• Originally posted by laoda99:

The E is to be blamed

You can get ACE, but if your GP is A1, it would not be a problem.

It's not the E. Because a GP A1 score is not that common compared to two or three As for A-Level subjects.

• Pwn u.
    • Originally posted by Deino:
      please lah dun blame the goddamn dragon....one's own fate is the result of their action

If only the world was as perfect as you wished. Cohort numbers play a large part in determining annual enrolment policy.

This is a fact.

I dun understand why she has to bring in her son to hao lian also anyway..

no shame.. Laughing

1,456 posts since Feb '07
      I dun understand why she has to bring in her son to hao lian also anyway..

comparison?

• Originally posted by club18:
      comparison?

It's a fair comparison for changes in enrolment and other standards over the years.

• this auntie is too much…she expects too much and now look at wot she gets….please lah dun pressure your own daughter….let her choose her path…dun brag about wot happen…everything happens with a cause….

Please Login or Signup to reply.