20 Oct, 05:30PM in sunny Singapore!
Home Chit Chat

Students life

Subscribe to Students life 29 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    4 posts since Dec '11
    • Just wanna find out what do you think about student life ? Be it JC or Poly or Uni....

38,115 posts since Jun '05
    241 posts since Dec '11
    111 posts since Jun '11
    • A waste of time and does not prepare us or prepare us less than perfectly for the real world and it's issues.

40,821 posts since Apr '06
    • Originally posted by Turbulent Times:

A waste of time and does not prepare us or prepare us less than perfectly for the real world and it's issues.

Well said

33,394 posts since May '09
    • U wan ITE?

come to school.... see girls, then see teacher face

then he teach teach teach while u sleep,talk,suft net or declare urself lunch break

Edited by Bus&Soccer l0v3r (VO3x 1) 08 Dec `11, 8:52PM
    241 posts since Dec '11
    • Life is school is about: Whistle-blowing(Aka backstabing), being fake, bullying. studying, playing, gossiping....

My school very intresting de one leh........... icon_lol.gif

410 posts since Aug '09
    • In secondary school, I hated the mounting, innumerable assignments and have difficulties completing them, so I ended up doing languages homework more since I prefer them, copying maths and science from friends. Life was all about school, CCA and home, rinse repeat. God damn 10-year series though.

Upper secondary was one of the best time I had, since you're with a few hundreds other students preparing for the 'O' and by then, active in the CCA you're in. Played hard and studied hard, and it was fun since the school was opened till night for studying. Really enjoyed the support and company of friends and teachers.

Entered polytechnic, decided on Mechatronics course since I believed that that's the best option instead of pursuing IT/Games design [My preference] and Business/Mass Comm [Popular choices then]. Suddenly, there was this freedom and in my course, I met people I've never met before in my secondary school and it was wild, good times. Became a little rebellious, lax in homework and just having fun around school. Since exams in polytechnic were I would say, very manageable [Prof sharing tips, reviewing past papers], we're hanging out in town areas before exams, overnight in every possible McDonalds studying and what not. I guess I did alright overall though but then the military called and the student's life paused.

Now, university was a different thing altogether. Initially, I was thinking, how hard could this tertiary level education be as compared to polytechnic and was rudely awakened by my first semester results. I guess that shock really brought me back to reality and in a way, it humbled me and I became a little more studious. While my results have been pretty much average, I began to understand things I didn't realise before, such as derivations, how the world works and things around me. It is still a painful experience and I'll say it's one of my darkest days of feeling depression, bottled anger and sadness, but it also made me independant and much more confident. While I enjoyed life in sec. and poly, it was only in uni did I began to appreciate it.

In a way, I would say, it's not what's written in the textbook that's important to me, but how I approach the situations, that have equipped me for things to come after studying. Time management, preparation and understanding became obvious to me as crucial elements in life.

But you know, it is still kinda sad, bordering on disgusting when I see Uni students take MC to avoid certain subjects and I've always told myself, it's better to try and attempt the situation to my best abilities than run away from it, cause afterall, I would not be able to sleep well, more so since it's not my money that have been used to pay for my education.

Edited by Toiletries 08 Dec `11, 10:21PM
    16 posts since Nov '11
    2,318 posts since Sep '11
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    246,049 posts since Dec '99
    4 posts since Dec '11
    • Originally posted by Darkness_hacker99:

Are you coming to Singapore to study? icon_mrgreen.gif

Nope. Im just interested to find out the people's opinion about their school life :)

Care to share yours ? :)

• Thank you for all your feedback :)

In fact I am trying to find out all the different factors and opinion people think about education system and specifically teritary education

so anyone kind to share what about your opinion against JC versus Poly?

if you just completed your Os would you choose JC or Poly ? What are the factors affecting your choice? or back when at that time you face the decision of choosing JC or Poly what were thinking at that time?

• hi ppl,

what are the factors when choosing either poly or JC ????????

336 posts since Dec '10
    7 posts since Dec '11
    • Originally posted by Wandans:

learn to think in our way, have our own unique ideas about the thing

truely agree with you.tongue.png and we should also build a solid basis for our future further development.
    8,408 posts since Apr '05
    • Originally posted by Turbulent Times:

A waste of time and does not prepare us or prepare us less than perfectly for the real world and it's issues.

It's a waste of time if you don't make use of it well.

38,115 posts since Jun '05
    • Originally posted by talktalktalk:

hi ppl,

what are the factors when choosing either poly or JC ????????

For me I would say it's

1) Desire to pursue higher education (degree)

2) Meeting criteria

3) Personal Interest

4) Location

If you really want to get a degree and your O level grades make the mark, apply for JC and cope from there. Studying at JC isn't so relax as in secondary school. icon_razz.gif 

If you don't meet the criteria for JC, then choose a polytechnic course which you are interesting in.

Worst come to worst, if no dream, no goals, no nothing, then choose the institution nearest to you, followed by something that you think you will like.

1 post since Dec '11
    16,100 posts since Dec '06
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    246,049 posts since Dec '99
    • students keep thinking abt going to work and earning $

when finally working, they wish to go back to sch

336 posts since Dec '10
    • Originally posted by FireIce:

students keep thinking abt going to work and earning $

when finally working, they wish to go back to sch

Truth, Russian style (140%)

15 posts since Dec '11
    • Student life is what you make it to be. There is no cookie-cutter student lifestyle in Singapore.

There are hardworking ace students who only work, like myself.

There are those who work and play, and the permutation goes on and on.

It's your choice, really.

2,931 posts since Nov '05
    • you all must study hard, dun be like me... i spent 90% of my power on playing... i always skip lessons, and the 10% where i focus on is only during exams... my 10% is spent all on stretching my neck and extra energy toward eyeballs to peep at my classmates answers...

1 post since Dec '11
    • I currently studying in NUS. Sometime you will wonder how can a average score of a test be 90% of the mark. The paper wasn’t easy, i think it is 10 to 20 times harder than the paper i took in polytechnic. But this kind of standard of paper is consider easy in University. Usually, University standard can be 200 to 300 times more difficult than in polytechnic. I previously studying in poly, that why i can feel the different.

Please Login or Signup to reply.