20 Apr, 05:13AM in sunny Singapore!
Home Chit Chat

MISTREATED AND ABUSED... ARENT THEY HUMANS TOO?

Subscribe to MISTREATED AND ABUSED... ARENT THEY HUMANS TOO? 15 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    18 posts since Apr '13
    49,241 posts since Mar '05
    • exploitation happens everywhere, every second!!!

if not how do you think a person can become a millionaire, a billionaire in just a few decades.

Edited by dragg 28 May `13, 12:55PM
    6,305 posts since Feb '05
    • MOM has no proper system to really control the influxs of foreign labours that is run by syndicates, rogue foreign emloyment agencies and local employment agencies.

• Those low wage foreign workers who are stuck in Singapore are mainly because their employers have infringed the MOM laws. The company failed to pay them their salaries, the company failed to make payment of the monthly levy to MOM and etcs. MOM will then call for the $5000 security bond assured by the company’s insurance company where the $5000 security bond has been secured and assured through that insurance company. MOM will then make the company foreign workers as the witnesses and hold back their passport until the case is settled. This caused the dilemma of the foreing workers. While awaiting for the MOM proceeding against the company, these foreign workers are given an immigration document whereby every 2 weeks they need to report to the immigration to have it stamped and extended. Sometimes, it will take a long time before the case is settled. In the meantime the affected foreign workers can request from MOM for temporary employment in Singapore. MOM will then recommend jobs to these affected foreign workers to other companies for employment while awaiting for the case to be settled.

Edited by zulkifli mahmood 28 May `13, 2:50PM
    281 posts since Apr '12
    • Originally posted by Johnspears213:
      A friend posted this on his Facebook so I saw and thought it was worth sharing. We need to have a first world conscience and treat them like decent human beings…

http://bit.ly/14UhBKR 

I know you mean well but........

When you mentioned WE..I sure hope you are not refering to Singaporeans.

And THEM? THEM is not refering to foreigners I hope?

Why should fairness and equality, empathy or justice be segregated when it should be universal and applicable to everyone?

Aren't there Singaporeans abroad who are facing such issues as well?

Aren't there Singaporeans student on internship being abused by their employers as well?

How many students, foreign or local go on internship every year to be on the whim and fancy of their "potential" employers? Could employers see traniees as "cheap" labor to cut cost on wages and sacrafice quality? Dangle the carrot without ever fullfilling them and even to some extreme blackmailoh.png??

Must there reports on such issues before people start being aware?

I mean just look around daily...at the mrt...coffee shop....at your office...the old uncle nobody gives a #*!#*! about....the place you live....maids being abused etc etc...if only you actually bothered to look closely......No need for such reports for awareness..

But I guess every one is too bothered with their own problems am I right?

So how do we go about solving such problems?

Here a bonus question? How many of us know but do not speak up?

Look on the bright side thou, there are actually companies that win the TAFEP exemplary employer award
      Edited by JelloPoop 28 May `13, 4:11PM
    • I’m very sure those civil servants know and those private agencies working for the government know about such cases but they are bounded by the code of conduct ethiques from leaking such cases to the medias or to the public at large in Singapore.

281 posts since Apr '12
    • Originally posted by zulkifli mahmood:

code of conduct ethiques

Then how to decide what is right or wrong?

Speak and and risk being the target board of everyone........and also complicated implications within the industry or from competitors..........

Don't speak up and maintain good working environment for yourself and the X amount of employees/colleagues....

People might speak up but it gets resolved... 'covered up" within the organization so not really known..

From a few good men the movie...

Kaffee: Colonel Jessup, did you order the Code Red?!
      Judge: You don't have to answer that question!
      Jessup: I'll answer the question. You want answers?
      Kaffee: I think I'm entitled!
      Jessup: You want answers?!
      Kaffee: I want the truth!
      Jessup: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives! You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall. We use words like "honor", "code", "loyalty". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!
      Kaffee: Did you order the Code Red?
      Jessup: I did the job that—-
      Kaffee: Did you order the Code Red?!!
      Jessup: YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT I DID!!
      Edited by JelloPoop 28 May `13, 4:21PM
    • Originally posted by JelloPoop:

Then how to decide what is right or wrong?

Speak and and risk being the target board of everyone........and also complicated implications within the industry or from competitors..........

Don't speak up and maintain good working environment for yourself............

Thats the problem...they can't speak up. Now you know where the fault lies. Even after reporting such cases to the Dept Supervisors and the Head of Department, it will take a long time to get the culprits. So the best way is to get the outsiders to expose the real thing to the public at large then only the relevant authority will take action on the matter...surprisingly immediately.

• My last job before I went into semi-retirement, I was a Counter Officer at MOM – Work Permit Service Centre.

435 posts since Apr '13
    6,640 posts since Dec '11
    • Human trafficking – Singapore

Singapore

The Situation
      Singapore is a destination country for human trafficking.

Destination
      Singapore is a destination country for women and girls who are trafficked from Thailand, the Philippines, the People’s Republic of China, and Indonesia for commercial sexual and labor exploitation. Some women voluntarily migrate to Singapore to work as prostitutes but are later coerced into sexual servitude.

http://www.humantrafficking.org/countries/singa…

• I saw many young girls from China, Philippines and Thailand were working as ‘Performance Artiste’ in bars and nightclubs in Singapore. Most of them were desperate to secure a job in Singapore on social visit passes. When they failed to secure a decent job, most of them will apply for the performance artiste job as a last resort. Their work permit is valid for 6 months afterwhich they will return to their country and then 5 months later they will return to Singapore to do that same job. Once they hold that performance artiste work permit…it will be difficult for them to switch to other job. I suspected most of the bars and nightclubs in Singapore are implicitly owned by Secret Society groups or syndicates. They can use middleman to open those bars and nightclubs in Singapore. And this middleman can use his or her name to open more than one bar and nightclub in Singapore.

Many times I spoke to these young girls in front of me at my counter whether they knew what they were doing just because they want to stay in Singapore and work. Some of them were reluctant and afraid to speak because the agent or employer was sitting and watching them from the waiting lobby. I advised them before I registered and processed their work permit to think carefully and if they don’t want this job, they should just reject this job and go back to their own country. Most of them just kept quiet but from what I observed from some of these girls’ face expression…they were beginning to regret applying for that performance artiste job. Some of them just went through that work permit process out of fear or willingly but with regret.

Edited by zulkifli mahmood 01 Jun `13, 12:23AM
    • As for the young Bangladeshi construction workers (some of them look so young)...I suspected their passports were genuine and officially issued by their embassy back in their own country but the information within their passports were false. When I asked them, “When is your birthdate?” (in English or translated by their own fellow Bangladeshi foreman/supervisor that accompany them) most of them don’t even know their birthdate and could not answer the question. I brought this up many times to the department in the past but they were not interested because MOM is not ICA…that is ICA problem and is not under MOM jurisdiction. The department were only interested in registering and processing the foreign workers’ work permit.

Edited by zulkifli mahmood 08 Jun `13, 12:32AM
    • They said…(ask the officers in vice department I guess) if there are no prostitutes in Singapore…there will be more rape cases….

Please Login or Signup to reply.