24 Apr, 01:25AM in sunny Singapore!
Home Chit Chat

Racism in singapore?

Subscribe to Racism in singapore? 45 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    2 posts since May '13
    • Hi everyone,

I'm travelling to Singapore in a few weeks to meet my boyfriend's family. I'm filipina while he is Singaporean-chinese. We have both grown up in New Zealand and are at university here.

When I met his father briefly while he was visting New Zealand, I got the impression he may have been a bit racist. He made a few references to "mainlanders" and black people and indians and tended to stereotype them.

Should I expect other singaporeans to generally be like this, or is father especially racist? I'm filipina so obviously I'm a bit worried I might be looked down upon since his extended family probably have maids from my country.

Will I be welcomed as his girlfriend or will there be some awkwardness/hostility due to the fact that I am not Chinese? Not too sure what to expect, any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

49,241 posts since Mar '05
    • generally most people prefer their own race.  i don't know if that is considered racism.

btw what you are encountering now is nothing new.  

13 posts since May '13
    6,640 posts since Dec '11
    • Originally posted by Nicolem:

Hi everyone,

I'm travelling to Singapore in a few weeks to meet my boyfriend's family. I'm filipina while he is Singaporean-chinese. We have both grown up in New Zealand and are at university here.

When I met his father briefly while he was visting New Zealand, I got the impression he may have been a bit racist. He made a few references to "mainlanders" and black people and indians and tended to stereotype them.

Should I expect other singaporeans to generally be like this, or is father especially racist? I'm filipina so obviously I'm a bit worried I might be looked down upon since his extended family probably have maids from my country.

Will I be welcomed as his girlfriend or will there be some awkwardness/hostility due to the fact that I am not Chinese? Not too sure what to expect, any insight would be much appreciated.

Isn't this the same way you treat Taiwan/China/Japan?

Maybe the father is from Taiwan, or has a relative killed the exculsive economical zone area. 

2 posts since May '13
    • The Philippines might be the same, but I'm not. I'm an individual and don't appreciate assumptions about me being made on the basis of my country of birth. Assuming that just because other countries may have a general racist environment excuses your own, is flawed reasoning. Yes, preferring your own race isn't racism. Can't really police people's thoughts and preferences. But it is racism to treat people negatively because they are a different race to you. His father is most definitely not from Taiwan. Even if he was, are you trying to imply that it would justify potentially racist attitudes?

If this is the general response of people so far, then I guess my reservations about visiting his family in Singapore are well founded....

120 posts since Apr '13
    • Don't worry . Singapore is a multi races country. We leave in peace all these years as u can see what we are today.

In fact , Sg welcome foreigners, its easy to find a job here if you are educated.

49,241 posts since Mar '05

The Philippines might be the same, but I'm not. I'm an individual and don't appreciate assumptions about me being made on the basis of my country of birth. Assuming that just because other countries may have a general racist environment excuses your own, is flawed reasoning. Yes, preferring your own race isn't racism. Can't really police people's thoughts and preferences. But it is racism to treat people negatively because they are a different race to you. His father is most definitely not from Taiwan. Even if he was, are you trying to imply that it would justify potentially racist attitudes?

If this is the general response of people so far, then I guess my reservations about visiting his family in Singapore are well founded....

don't use the response from online forums as a gauge.  like all polls it can be misleading.

The Philippines might be the same, but I'm not. I'm an individual and don't appreciate assumptions about me being made on the basis of my country of birth. Assuming that just because other countries may have a general racist environment excuses your own, is flawed reasoning. Yes, preferring your own race isn't racism. Can't really police people's thoughts and preferences. But it is racism to treat people negatively because they are a different race to you. His father is most definitely not from Taiwan. Even if he was, are you trying to imply that it would justify potentially racist attitudes?

How do you know he does not have a relative/friend from Taiwan or whose parents are not from Taiwan?

Please, I went on Yahoo Philippines and saw a lot of racist comments on chinese, like "bloody, let the virus wipe out these chinese parasites"

5,614 posts since Nov '11
    • Philippinos now hated by Taiwanese.    

Come see for yourself.  It is pretty difficult to tell you.    Your encounters here in time to come may differ from online info.

18 posts since Nov '12
    32 posts since Jul '13
    • Nicolem, 

Unfortunately your concerns and worries are definitely well founded. 

Singapore is an incredibly racisist country due to the majority of Singaporeans being so small minded. What I mean by that is, they have never been outside of Singapore and do not appreciate other cultures and there worth. This compiled witht the extreme elitist attitude of the majority, means that you, as a Pinoy, will no doubt be either subjected to racism or looked down upon by your partners family and the general public.

But worry not, do not let these types of individuals drag you down to there level, rise above it as they are misguided souls and still have good in them.

Summer hills responses are typical of the way many of my own country men act, never taking accountability and trying to shift blame to others. 

However there ARE Singaporeans who are not racist, who are intelligent and wise enough to understand that all humans on this earth have the same inherent value and we Singaporeans are equal to everyone and they to us.

Good luck! 

•  

It is a blatant lie to say Singaporeans  : -  What I mean by that is, they have never been outside of Singapore and do not appreciate other cultures and there worth. This compiled witht the extreme elitist attitude of the majority, means that you, as a Pinoy, will no doubt be either subjected to racism or looked down upon by your partners family and the general public.

To begin with this person does not know the partner's family to say she will be looked down upon by them.     Overboard, too much!

32 posts since Jul '13
    • True say laaa

Close your eyes to it if you wish, the attitude towards other ethnicities by a large % of Singaporeans is absolutely outrageous and disgusting laa

have you not read other posts on this forum?

• They must have certain facts to base on when they said that.

Anyway, Singaporeans aren't perfect either.    Some treat their own nation with such nastiness.   yucks.     Don't get me wrong, there are still some nice Singaporeans.   

98 posts since Jul '13
    1 post since Aug '13
    • Racism is an issue we all should try to eradicate. I think it only ever comes up because it somehow affected us on a personal level at some point in our lives. People from any part of the world will be racist towards another person for one reason or another because whether we like it or not, some people generalize a person's actions and interpret it as a another race or another nation's actions.

But for Arami who asked if it's the same in the Philippines, Chinese-Filipino interracial (I'll use interracial for the sake of simplicity but I don't think it's the correct term) relationships are not as controversial as - let's say - a caucasian person dating a Filipino/Filipina. The reason is perhaps, it has become a norm.

Do tell us about your experience in Singapore. I too am in a relationship with an Indian- Singaporean person and I will be visiting Singapore in the near future.

Thank you!

32 posts since Jul '13
    • Originally posted by Avatarniu:

I love my own children than neighbor's, am I a racist?

Avatarniu, is this a serious question? Are you really that foolish?

Generally your comments are those of a poorly educated, racist, xenophobic, biggoted individual, but I guess you will need some time to Look these words up in the dictionary before you can reply to us using poorly written English.

Even the Gong Kia is able to write comments in SGForums it seems..

6,305 posts since Feb '05

Hi everyone,

I think in the Philippines itself there are some prejudices amongst its population. This is the current situation in Singapore now. Those filipino maids that are working in Singapore are shun by those filipinos working in other industries in Singapore. They separate themselves from those filipino maids. Why?

• Originally posted by True-Say-Laa:

Generally your comments are those of a poorly educated, racist, xenophobic, biggoted individual, but I guess you will need some time to Look these words up in the dictionary before you can reply to us using poorly written English.

bigoted*

What about you? Please take a good look at the mirror and LEARN to respect other people's opinions or learnt to counter people's arguement by proving them wrong, instead of you stooping down to a primary school kid level of arguement. 

Avatarniu is poorly-educated? If you are so well-educated you won't be living in your well to be only using name calling which doesn't require much intellectual strength which only a primary school qualification to do so. [You don't even need PSLE]

32 posts since Jul '13
    • Summer hill, you really are not worth my time and effort. But thanks for your reply.

• Originally posted by Summer hill:

bigoted*

What about you? Please take a good look at the mirror and LEARN to respect other people's opinions or learnt to counter people's arguement by proving them wrong, instead of you stooping down to a primary school kid level of arguement. 

Avatarniu is poorly-educated? If you are so well-educated you won't be living in your well to be only using name calling which doesn't require much intellectual strength which only a primary school qualification to do so. [You don't even need PSLE]

Summer, oops., you are good at pointing them out.     Me, too, don't condone condescending attitude.   icon_lol.gif

8 posts since Apr '13
    98 posts since Jul '13
    • Originally posted by True-Say-Laa:

I found your comments untenable, baseless, ridiculous... That you keep telling same story in various threads stressing on Singaporeans are bad attitude toward foreigners or other ethnicity.. Did you conduct any survey? Or it is just your own resentment? 

If you dislike Singaporean so much, expat la! 

Please Login or Signup to reply.