22 Oct, 08:00PM in sunny Singapore!
Home Chit Chat

Man disrupts church service because of parking woes

Subscribe to Man disrupts church service because of parking woes 59 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    541 posts since Jul '01
    • AUG 22, 2004 - The Sunday Times

Packed to the brim, all 160 lots in the Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour are often full on weekends. So some chuchgoers resort to parking along Siglap Hill. -- LAU FOOK KONG

To keep cars away, some residents have taken to placing traffic cones outside their gates. Others stand at their gates just before mass starts to fend off churchgoers. -- LAU FOOK KONG

Man disrupts church service because of parking woes
      A churchgoer's car was blocking his front gate; man being investigated for disturbing assembly

By Ben Nadarajan

FED UP with churchgoers who parked their cars right in front of his house, a man stormed into a Catholic church in Siglap during mass and demanded that something be done about the problem.

A churchgoer at the Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour reported the incident to the Home Affairs Ministry, and police are now looking into it.

The man is being investigated for disturbing a religious assembly - an offence under the Penal Code. He is also under probe for uttering words that hurt the religious feelings of another person. If found guilty, he could be jailed for up to a year for each offence.

The man, who did not want to give his name, told The Sunday Times yesterday that he lost his temper during the incident two weeks ago. He wanted to go out but his front gate was blocked by another car.

He said he walked to the church along Siglap Hill and asked a staff member there to find the driver to move the car.

After waiting for 10 minutes in his two-storey terrace house, nobody came. The managing director of a construction and engineering company then barged into the church, just as the Reverend Gregorie Van Giang was about to read the Gospel.

The man, who is in his 40s and a freethinker, said: 'The church, as the host, should be responsible for its guests and not let them park anywhere they want.'

Some churchgoers sympathised with him. 'We can understand his frustrations. Many of us are also upset that our people are so inconsiderate,' said housewife Evelyn Ng, 34.

Residents along Siglap Hill, a quiet neighbourhood off Changi Road, have complained about parking problems to the police and Land Transport Authority (LTA) on many occasions in the past.

Some of the older residents said the problems had been around for 20 years, but worsened when the church finished renovation works a few years ago and more worshippers started attending mass.

Churchgoers park their cars along the road when all 160 lots in the church have been taken up, as they often are on weekends when more than 1,000 people attend services. Priests at the church have reminded churchgoers not to park along Siglap Hill as this obstructs traffic along the narrow two-way street, said members of the congregation.

The church even made arrangements for people to park at nearby Siglap View, in front of St Stephen's School. It is a five-minute walk away, but few churchgoers park there.

'Most of the cars which park along Siglap Hill are of those who are late and do not want to park far away,' said a church warden. 'Many are also too lazy to walk just a little bit.'

Some residents have taken to placing traffic cones outside their gates to keep cars away, while others stand at their gates just before mass starts to fend off churchgoers.

Although residents have put up with the problem, several new home owners are less tolerant.

Just last Sunday, a resident who moved in two years ago stopped his car in the middle of the road and refused to budge for 10 minutes, because his gate was blocked and he could not turn into his house.

Another frustrated resident, businessman Eric Chin, 47, said: 'When so many cars park along one side of the road, it leaves only one lane free in the two-way street. Very often, cars get stuck.'

Residents also complained about some arrogant car owners.

Madam Ngiam Lee Cheng, 64, confronted one last year.

'But the man told me he pays road tax so he had a right to park there,' she said.

To help end this stand-off between residents and churchgoers, the police have stepped up patrols in the area.

The LTA will also put in double yellow lines by the end of the week. Those caught parking illegally will be fined, given demerit points or have their cars towed away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Copyright @ 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.

• AUG 24, 2004 - ST forum

Errant churchgoers also to blame for man's outburst

I REFER to the article, 'Man disrupts church service because of parking woes' (The Sunday Times, Aug 22), and would like to raise two points.

First, having lived in Siglap Hill since late 1990, I can well understand and sympathise with the man who disrupted a mass in the Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour recently because he was fed up with churchgoers who parked their cars right in front of his house and blocked him from entering or leaving his home.

For years, people living in this quiet neighbourhood have been at the receiving end of the inconsiderate behaviour of some churchgoers who either park indiscriminately or are in such a hurry to leave after mass that they refuse to give way to residents who want to enter or leave their homes.

Most have put up with it, out of courtesy, grace and tolerance. Obviously, the man cited in the report, whose identity I do not know, must have been at the end of his tether.

This is not to say that I condone his outburst. All I ask is that readers also reflect on whether those inconsiderate churchgoers who so irked him ought also to bear their share of public odium.

Equally, the priests at the church and those who help in running it must also ask themselves whether they have done enough to urge churchgoers to spare a thought for those who live in the area.

It is not enough for them to say they have tried - or plead that, in the past, volunteers who came forward to help direct traffic and keep order had been abused by some black sheep in the flock. They must do better than that.

If they do not already know, let me say, on behalf of my fellow residents, that our patience and tolerance are being worn really thin.

My second point is that the Land Transport Authority (LTA) will be making a big mistake if, as reported, it goes ahead to draw double yellow lines along Siglap Hill by the end of this week.

In so doing, it will be punishing all residents in the area by making it illegal for their visiting friends and relatives to park outside their homes - all because of a problem created once a week, usually late Sunday morning, by a handful of churchgoers.

Drawing double yellow lines will not be helpful to the church. It can only add to the irritation felt by residents towards churchgoers.

It is not even solving the problem because the problem is not parking along the street - residents have long put up with that as long as it is done in an orderly manner and on just one side of the street. The problem is indiscriminate parking on Sunday mornings.

Drawing double yellow lines is taking the easy way out, which is not something one should settle for in today's Singapore. The LTA too must do better than that.

DAISY SUM LYE PHENG (MDM)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Copyright @ 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.

67,620 posts since Dec '03
    541 posts since Jul '01
    • Originally posted by ditzy:
      I can sympathise with that guy. Try Poh Huat Road West on a Sunday. Laughing

Where is that?

• Originally posted by JWorld:
      Where is that?

Somewhere along Yio Chu Kang rd. Near the junction that intersects Hougang Ave 2 and Ang Mo Kio Ave 3.

541 posts since Jul '01
    • Originally posted by ditzy:
      Somewhere along Yio Chu Kang rd. Near the junction that intersects Hougang Ave 2 and Ang Mo Kio Ave 3.

You live there?

1,144 posts since Feb '03
    • u know
      this really reflects badly on them
      maybe the pastor should touch on CONSIDERATION

15,891 posts since May '03
    541 posts since Jul '01
      U paste that pic for what?

this thread is abt her church mah...haha

541 posts since Jul '01
    • Originally posted by NeonTetra:
      this thread is abt her church mah...haha

You so bad one. Be nice to Catholics hor.

You so bad one. Be nice to Catholics hor.

i nv imply any negative things abt catholics...dun assume leh.

15,860 posts since Apr '02
    • the pic and the remarks is not to flame any RCs...

it's to imply tt the teachings of the church shld include considerations too. i believe RC church taught their ppl well in some areas and this area of loving neighbors as ourselves shld be included as well....

i say tt to protestants too.....

i'm not bias in anyway Smile

541 posts since Jul '01
      i nv imply any negative things abt catholics...dun assume leh.

But a bit rude to catholics lor. Dun like that leh.

the pic and the remarks is not to flame any RCs...

it's to imply tt the teachings of the church shld include considerations too. i believe RC church taught their ppl well in some areas and this area of loving neighbors as ourselves shld be included as well....

i say tt to protestants too.....

i'm not bias in anyway Smile

ok lor. But don't put the picture there, pls pls pls, before any other of our Catholic forumers see this. ok? can?

But a bit rude to catholics lor. Dun like that leh.

err...ok..i shall remove it.

jus to let u know...thats one of my fave icon when i was a RC...so why wld i do tt?

• i removed mine....can the rest remove urs too? Mr. Green

722 posts since Jul '02
    • "If found guilty, he could be jailed for up to a year for each offence."

wah lau.. in the 1st place its the church ppl tat 1st went overboard wif their selfish behavior n in the end it was the victim that will be punished...
      [/b]

149,791 posts since Feb '01
    • well, don't mind NT.. he figures he's God sometimes...

but i have to say, some members of the church at my parish are idiots... there are signs telling them NOT to park there, yet they do.. and less than 20 metres away is a whole car park!

selfishness happens in every denomination, religion, race, creed, colour and stupidity Laughing

Originally posted by Honeybunz:
      ok lor. But don't put the picture there, pls pls pls, before any other of our Catholic forumers see this. ok? can?
      err...ok..i shall remove it.

jus to let u know...thats one of my fave icon when i was a RC...so why wld i do tt?

You fave wouldn't imply that it might be their fave leh.

• Originally posted by the Bear:
      well, don't mind NT.. he figures he's God sometimes...

but i have to say, some members of the church at my parish are idiots... there are signs telling them NOT to park there, yet they do.. and less than 20 metres away is a whole car park!

selfishness happens in every denomination, religion, race, creed, colour and stupidity Laughing

i'm not God Mr. Green

never was, is and is to come.

149,791 posts since Feb '01
    • then stop judging people...

you have been carrying that around...

nevermind... it was pointed out to you by others, and you ignored it.. so much that some have been avoiding you...

oh well...

Originally posted by NeonTetra:
      i'm not God Mr. Green

never was, is and is to come.

• Originally posted by marlboro:
      [b]"If found guilty, he could be jailed for up to a year for each offence."

wah lau.. in the 1st place its the church ppl tat 1st went overboard wif their selfish behavior n in the end it was the victim that will be punished...
      [/b][/b]

well, he stupid what. Act like a bull.

I'm not saying the church people are right. In fact, I also agree they are selfish. If the church ground doesn't have any parking lots, too bad, park somewhere else lor. Walk a bit, won't die, right? I have been walking to and fro bus stops before and after Church Mass for the past decades.

If I were him, I walk into the church office and speak with the person in charge. I'm sure the person is reasonable and will make necessary annoucements or cooperate in some ways.

If person in charge refuses to help, I will get police to help. Everytime see illegal parking, whether it blocks my way or not, call the neighbourhood police.

I used to call Mata that ALL THE TIME at my old place, whenever people parked illegally next to a HDB block to attend funeral wakes, causing obstructions while the multi-storey car park is just two mins walk away (actually only next block). I tell you, calling Mr Mata is very useful one. Each time I called, for the rest of the funeral wake days, nobody dared to park illegally liao. Probably, the police warned the funeral wake family or what.

Please Login or Signup to reply.